• NJ
Votes |
Evicted Once Before But...

Nabeel M.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • NJ
Posted Nov 19 2017, 07:22

Hi All,

Few days ago I purchased a multifamily [in PA] and inherited a tenant who is late on his November rent.  Digging into it a bit further, since moving in March 2016 he's been habitually late and in Jan/Feb 2017 was given an eviction.  Some how he and the previous landlord came to terms and for the last 6 months or so he's been on time.  However, he's now slipped into lateness.  Having spoken to him, he's claiming some bank issues (no specifics given).

It's now the 19th of November.  Having learned he's been habitually late and once before served an eviction notice [from seller of property], I don't have an appetite to keep him any longer.  Question:

Notice to Vacate always seem to read: Pay up to avoid eviction or leave in X days.  Can the notice be written so it says pay up and just leave (not giving them the option to stay)?  He's currently on a month to month lease and landlord/tenant are supposed to give 60 days notice to leave if the lease is being abided by.  In this case, because he hasn't paid rent can I just tell him to leave in X days?

Loading replies...