Cleveland area POS / Occupancy cost summary

2 Replies

Ran across this nice summary of each city in the greater Cleveland area regarding Point of Sale, Occupancy Permits, Inspections, etc. Includes contact information for each city.

http://clevelandhousehunt.com/point-of-sale-requir...

A bit dated (2015) but likely mostly accurate as these things don't change often / quickly. If people post any updates they are aware of, we can fill-in / update any blanks.

On that note, this past summer, the City of East Cleveland passed ordinances that increased occupancy permits x 10. 

If I am reading them right (I have the PDF's);
Non-Owner Occupied

Ordinance 14-17:
 $100 per unit annually for units 1 & 2, $50 for unit 3
 $100 per unit annually for all unit >4 (not sure if you save $50 on 3rd unit)

Reading this ordinance carefully, unit 4 may not actually be covered

Owner Occupied

Ordinance 15-17: 

$100 on sale of 2-3 unit
  $400 on sale of 4-39 unit
  $1,000 on sale of >39 unit

Ordinance 16-17: 

$100 on sale of Single Family House

Not sure if these are over and above the POS inspection fee required for a sale in East Cleveland.

I would personally skip over anything located in "East Cleveland"

The big news here is that a class action law suit is going forward against the City of Bedford in the Northern District of Ohio contesting "all homeowners who were forced to endure government searches as a precondition to the sale of their homes are entitled to demand refunds of illegal “Point of Sale” inspection fees".

A similar suit has already been adjudicated in the Southern District Courts in favor of prohibiting the practice as a sale requirement.

41 communities in Northeast Ohio require some type of POS for title transfer which I'm sure is a source of income the cities don't want to see disappear.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.