Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Patrick M.
  • Investor
  • Chatham County, NC
Votes |
Screening and New Tenant Intake Procedure: Any Suggestions?

Patrick M.
  • Investor
  • Chatham County, NC
Posted Dec 3 2017, 19:49

Dear BP Community:

After rehabbing my first unit and getting all my ducks in a row, I am on the cusp of being ready to go out on the market for the first time as a landlord. I am excited, and nervous!

I would love to get any critiques or suggestions for improvement on my screening/lease-up process below. Please let me know if you would re-order things, or if you have any suggestions at all to help me get quality tenants.

Thanks!

--------
CB21 Screening Process:
--------

1. Post ads on Craiglist/Postlets/etc with rent, minimum salary of 3x to be approved, no evictions, all positive references from previous landlords, clean background check.

2. Steer potential applicants to phonecall for live screening. Go through the following questions with potential applicant:
How did you hear about the property?
Why are you looking now?
What kind of place are you looking for? What features are important to you?
Who else will be living in the unit with you?
Does anyone smoke?
What is your current monthly income before taxes?
Have you ever been evicted or asked to leave a property?
Have you even been convicted of a felony?
Are you aware of the qualifications to submit an application?
What kind of pets do you have? What breeds? Kittens or puppies?
Are you aware of our Pet Policies?

3. If potential applicant appears qualified and interested, schedule meeting to show unit.

4. Show unit in person. Arrive early to greet tenant, get a look at how they keep their car, and make sure unit is ready to show.

5. Accept application from potential tenant, processed through RentPrep.com.

6. I make calls to current/prior landlords, employer, and references to validate information.

7. Assuming tenant passes critieria, email them to notify and invite them to sign up with Cozy to make security deposit, and ask that they call electric company to move bill to their name. Establish move-in date.

8. Setup pro-rated payment or full month payment for move-in day using Cozy.

9. Meet at coffee shop close to unit on move-in day, sign lease, hand over keys.

10. Go to unit with new tenants, give them "tenant training" on water shut-off, fireplace, fusebox, etc., and wish them well!

Loading replies...