Refuse/Trash Bill Question for Duplex in Whittier, CA

4 Replies

Hi BP,

The refuse/trash service provider for my rental duplex in Whittier, CA has changed from the city to Athens in November, and the bill could not be separated ever since.

I wonder what the best option is:

- Taking over the billing and charge my 2 units separately when the bill arrives every 3 months

- Have the bill mail to one unit and let tenants split the amount equally and pay on their own

I am also open to suggestions, thank you!

Wes

If your current leases state the tenants will pay for garbage, take over the bill and and charge them back. If not, talk with an attorney to see what's legal, may require a lease addendum. If your garbage fees are static, you could possibly make it monthly so your process is smoother. 

Maybe you have more confidence in your tenants, but I have very little confidence that my tenants would take responsibility for the 2nd option you listed. 

I pay for trash collection (as well as city utilities) for all properties of more than one unit.  You should factor these costs into the rent you charge.

Ultimately you will be responsible for it, whether the tenant pays it or not. 

The change from city billing to Athens billing was a fiasco.  They didn't bother to send new bills to the "billing address" and instead sent them to tenants, who mostly ignored them.  They also way overcharged us for multiple properties, assuming we had much more trash collection than we did.

Originally posted by @Jay Helms :

If your current leases state the tenants will pay for garbage, take over the bill and and charge them back. If not, talk with an attorney to see what's legal, may require a lease addendum. If your garbage fees are static, you could possibly make it monthly so your process is smoother. 

Maybe you have more confidence in your tenants, but I have very little confidence that my tenants would take responsibility for the 2nd option you listed. 

Hi Jay!

Thank you for your response. I chatted with the service provider and confirmed that the rate is locked in unless otherwise noticed in advance. In this case I think my 1st choice is easier and it keeps potential dispute off the table.

Cheers!

Originally posted by @Brendon Woirhaye :

I pay for trash collection (as well as city utilities) for all properties of more than one unit.  You should factor these costs into the rent you charge.

Ultimately you will be responsible for it, whether the tenant pays it or not. 

The change from city billing to Athens billing was a fiasco.  They didn't bother to send new bills to the "billing address" and instead sent them to tenants, who mostly ignored them.  They also way overcharged us for multiple properties, assuming we had much more trash collection than we did.

Hey Brendon! Yep that's what I am going to do from now.

It seems like during the transition period that the memo to split billing for multifamily housing is lost somewhere. The city was able to bill my duplex separately but Athens will not.

Anyway, there is a solution to anything. Thanks Brendon! Have a great weekend ahead.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here