Is evicting from commercial different than residential ?

9 Replies

I was wondering if the procedure is the same to get a commercial tenant out for non payment as it is for a residential property 

I do not know Maryland law but the answer is NO.

Commercial is usually far easier and has less legal restrictions. Google it......Maryland commercial evictions.

Look into doing a lock out rather than an eviction.

Originally posted by @Matthew Paul :

I was wondering if the procedure is the same to get a commercial tenant out for non payment as it is for a residential property 

Typically yes it's different. Usually much easier. For example in my market (Cleveland, Ohio) so long as you have disclosed in the lease agreement that you do self help evictions they are completely legal to do to commercial tenants. That means no lengthy court process. Just change the locks or board up the building after proper notices have been posts......Easy. 

Yeah the only reason residential is tough is because people are living there. Commercial has no such protection.

@Matthew Paul As others have said, much easier. 

How much easier? The lease dictates. Most commercial leases include the choice of several different remedies. Choose the path that best protects your interests.

You lock their doors, they can't do business. 

@Matthew Paul Locking the doors prevents your tenant from doing business and generating money to pay you rent.

Sure, that's an option if your lease permits it, but it is a last-resort measure of obtaining possession. Not sure what your particular circumstances are. Good luck.

@Tom Gimer    Its a friend of mine , he is very lax and its all coming back to bite him on his commercial property .   He was " nice" and its costing him big time

@Matthew Paul  Many commercial landlords would rather file and, if necessary, obtain a judgment for rent as well as possession. If the tenant is able to, they find the money before that court hearing. That solves the problem, keeps the tenant, and gives notice that the LL isn't putting up with their BS anymore. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.