Can a two unit detached duplex with one legal go Section 8?

2 Replies

I have a quick question. I am looking at a property that is basically two small homes with 1 legal description. In total it is 2 bedrooms with like 900 square feet. They are separate detached units (both roughly 450 square feet with 1 bedroom a piece). Can this go Section 8 as a two bedroom or two separate 1 bedrooms? Or, does this only count as 1 bedroom and the other livable unit gets me nothing? Thanks!

Originally posted by @Jonathan Roper :

I have a quick question. I am looking at a property that is basically two small homes with 1 legal description. In total it is 2 bedrooms with like 900 square feet. They are separate detached units (both roughly 450 square feet with 1 bedroom a piece). Can this go Section 8 as a two bedroom or two separate 1 bedrooms? Or, does this only count as 1 bedroom and the other livable unit gets me nothing? Thanks!

Reach out to your local section 8 office. My assumption is it will be treated as two separate units but they can tell you that as well as review the property to ensure it qualifies for their program and/or items you need to address to pass the inspection. 

Local Section 8 office will ultimately be the ones making the final call anyway so I suggest going straight to the person that matters in this case.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here