TENANTS FROM HELL #1 Deplorable living conditions. PICS INCLUDED!

93 Replies

Lots of America is basically third world. Bad water supply, no fresh food, predatory banking, low minimum wage, militarized police, and people who live like this. Sadly with the economic policy of the last 30 years and "screw the poor its their own fault" attitude which makes us feel better I dont see any reversal of the trend. 

@Jay Hinrichs   I am so blasé my first thoughts were "not bad".  I can actually see floor in some spots.  People that are upset by this should not be buying houses on the courthouse steps.

One of the funniest things I have ever heard was at a house we just got at the courthouse steps.  There was a hole in the sheetrock.  Something walked past it on the inside of the wall.  My sister said...  "Was that a cat or a rat?"  We were actually happy is was a rat.  They are easier to get out of walls.

@Mike Cumbie @Roger S.   That's a nursing pillow... which is why this went from gross/shocking to heartbreaking for me.  Hopefully they're just hoarders and didn't actually have a baby living there.

Originally posted by @Sarah D. :

@Mike Cumbie @Roger S.   That's a nursing pillow... which is why this went from gross/shocking to heartbreaking for me.  Hopefully they're just hoarders and didn't actually have a baby living there.

Unfortunately there were 2 or 3 kids living there. Not hoarders, just your typical trashy druggies.

Originally posted by @Anish Tolia :

Lots of America is basically third world. Bad water supply, no fresh food, predatory banking, low minimum wage, militarized police, and people who live like this. Sadly with the economic policy of the last 30 years and "screw the poor its their own fault" attitude which makes us feel better I dont see any reversal of the trend. 

Do you really believe that people living like this can blame anyone but themselves?

How do you collect damages from tenants like this? I have a similar situation and the property manager that I hired refused to go after the tenants for over $10,000 worth of damage. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by @Emma T. :

How do you collect damages from tenants like this? I have a similar situation and the property manager that I hired refused to go after the tenants for over $10,000 worth of damage. Any suggestions?

😂 You don't. You can't get water from a rock. This is just part of the biz.

Tenants always look like the property. Want better tenants? Own better properties.

Originally posted by @James Wise :

Do you really believe that people living like this can blame anyone but themselves?

Actually yes. If you work a minimum wage job your whole life and pay 50% of that small income in rent, struggle for food, one illness makes you homeless do you think you would maintain the hygine standards you do now? Of course there is some personal choices here. But our economy and society is making more and more people desperate. And we will continue to see more and more of this.

@Anish Tolia   unfortunately there are just people that live like this. and those people have means.. they are not always poor or druggies..  I bought one last year  actually 4 homes that all were bulldozed because they were so so so bad and all had been lived in and owned free and clear by the owners and I cut them checks in excess of 250k EACH... on their departure.. they all moved for different reasons...  but being poor does not = filthy 

having owned hundreds of C class SFRs in the mid west I have been in many many of those.. and its just people some even though they are 100% welfare house is as neat as the next persons.. other middle of the road.. others train wreck. 

homeless problem is a combination of situation and personal choice having worked with those marginal in society for most of my life..   we used to call them HOBO's and they used to hang around the railroad tracks hoping trains.

Originally posted by @James Wise:

Actually yes. If you work a minimum wage job your whole life and pay 50% of that small income in rent, struggle for food, one illness makes you homeless do you think you would maintain the hygine standards you do now? Of course there is some personal choices here. But our economy and society is making more and more people desperate. And we will continue to see more and more of this.

Couldn't disagree more. It's all about personal choices. When I started Holton-Wise I was working 3 low wage jobs. I was delivering pizza, working at Radioshack & stocking pop for 7up. 

The difference is after my 1st 40 hours of low wage work I went to my 2nd & 3rd job were these animals look to avoid work all together. They spend what little they do have on drugs, booze & cigarettes.

Originally posted by @Sarah D. :

If they were hoarders, you would not be able to see the floor.

I hope you had a good hazmat suit. Gross!

You did a nice job with the clean up. No one would ever know the previous condition looking at it.

Your pictures reminded me of the rentals I used to clean out when I was a kid. My grandfather owned several rentals and the tenants would absolutely trash and destroy every square inch.

Originally posted by @Angela Meraklis-Lyons :

I hope you had a good hazmat suit. Gross!

You did a nice job with the clean up. No one would ever know the previous condition looking at it.

Your pictures reminded me of the rentals I used to clean out when I was a kid. My grandfather owned several rentals and the tenants would absolutely trash and destroy every square inch.

Lol, back in the day I'd personally be there helping with the cleanup. Not these days though. The unsung hero's at Holton-Wise handle all that. Those guys are some hard working fellas.

Originally posted by @Roger S. :

@Sarah D. , That's ok.  I'm the king of repurposing.  LOL

Bruhhhh! 🤢

@James Wise ,

Thank you for posting it!  I 100% agree, that BP is flooded with success stories of owning tons and tons of properties, lots of cash flow, and what looks like glamorous flips!     Success is great, but the actual  hard work is what a lot of people aren't prepared for.    Maybe if the reality was highlighted more,  there'd be less failures because people would have realistic expectations.     

I think everyone immediately just coughs up bad tenants as "oh, just low income, it's what you get"  but the truth is, people are people, it's about respect and cleanliness.

Wow. This is pretty eye opening but as I go and look at more "fixer uppers" I am actually pretty surprised to see the conditions that some people choose to live. Combination of gross and also sad.

I am starting to see a correlation however between people who don't put a sheet on their bed...and the state of the unit following the individual who is sleeping without any sheets.  

Since when does being poor mean that you can't throw away your trash and clean up your mess? I just don't buy into it somehow being the fault of "economic policy". That is just an excuse.

Living in a modest home and having a low income is no excuse for being a filthy slob.

Originally posted by @Mike Cumbie :

Looks like you got a nice "travel neck rest pillow" out of the deal!

I believe that is actually meant for small children as a positioner for feeding and also propping them up before they can "sit up" for they can really sit up.  Source: I think I have that exact same pattern on the one I have.

Originally posted by @James Wise:

Our economy and society is to blame.........lol

I am a strong believer in Personal Responsibility. I do not like when people make up excuses for poor behavior.

I have a duplex that is in a cluster that includes two triplexes.  Just over a year ago, as I was rehabbing one unit of the duplex, the landlord of the triplex unit immediately across from our duplex had a tenant skip.  The unit was an order of magnitude worse than those pictures.   It was a lazy hoarder.  It literally had s*** on the floor, cob webs across the doors, and trash halfway to the ceiling.  Even the houses I saw on the show Hoarders was not as disgusting as this unit (I have pics that are from shortly after the cleanup started and those pics are way worse than the pics from the OP). 

So the owner of the unit decided to do a rehab; I suspect there was no other choice.  He used some of my contractors including my handyman who used a small crew to clean out the unit for $500 and the right to keep anything he desired (there was an unopened laptop and a few flat screen TVs that all worked).  He used the same contractor I used for the ceiling texture removal.  He used the same paint contractor.  Both his unit and our unit needed heavy deoderizing/ozoner.  The other owner, mostly due to going with cheaper flooring option (our flooring option is nicer and likely will cost less in the long run) but also cheaper counters, spent less on his rehab then we spent on our rehab.

My point is cleaning out a unit of a lot of disgusting mess can be done fairly cheap.  There is not much difference in cost of rehabbing something that barely crosses the threshold for rehab and one that is trashed beyond belief.  Both require flooring, cabinets, counters, wall repair and painting, likely door repair/replacement, etc.  But the cost to purchase the RE that discusses most buyers will be less than the RE that barely crosses the threshold for a complete rehab.  So more sweat equity can be earned on the total thrashed unit for virtually the same rehab cost.

Seeing that this unit was purchased in bad shape with buyer aware of the condition and the rehab looks very nice there was likely a substantial sweat equity obtained (as well as a story that is entertaining to many).  I think the buyer likely did well.  However, the landlord that placed this tenant, let the unit get this thrashed, and sold the property with the unit that thrashed probably did not do too well but he also probably did not do enough to prevent this.  How well was the tenant screened?  Were there any inspections?  Were there any other signs of a potential problem?  It is likely that there was lazy management.  Maybe the owner was burned out; maybe he was tired of being a landlord.

Originally posted by @Linda D.:

@James Wise,

Thank you for posting it!  I 100% agree, that BP is flooded with success stories of owning tons and tons of properties, lots of cash flow, and what looks like glamorous flips!     Success is great, but the actual  hard work is what a lot of people aren't prepared for.    Maybe if the reality was highlighted more,  there'd be less failures because people would have realistic expectations.     

I think everyone immediately just coughs up bad tenants as "oh, just low income, it's what you get"  but the truth is, people are people, it's about respect and cleanliness.

Absolutely. This is my aim for this series of posts. If you'll notice I put a #1 in the title. I've got hundreds more photo's. I plan on starting a weekly discussion on this type of stuff. Far too many investors see the success, but they don't see the journey. Nobody outside of the industry really comprehends how much of a battle it can be managing tenants behavior well enough to turn a profit. We're going to change the narrative.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here