TENANTS FROM HELL #1 Deplorable living conditions. PICS INCLUDED!

93 Replies

I was just out in Compton tonight... looks exactly the same.
Originally posted by @James Wise

lol, I have 1,000's of tenants. I don't have to imagine it. I've seen it all. I've literally got 100's of these tenants from hell photos on my cloud. 

Those types of photos were great "post-eviction therapy" for me, after evicting a disgusting (probably mentally ill) inherited tenant.  They helped me deal with the shock and reminded me that my new mess was nowhere near as bad as some people's messes, and then seeing how nicely those messes cleaned up gave me lots of good feelings about how nice my unit was going to look.  I guess a sort of reminder that many other successful landlords have gotten through this and I will too.

Plus its just great entertainment in a sick sort of way, hahaha... :)  

Originally posted by @Nicky Reader :
Originally posted by @James Wise: 

lol, I have 1,000's of tenants. I don't have to imagine it. I've seen it all. I've literally got 100's of these tenants from hell photos on my cloud. 

Those types of photos were great "post-eviction therapy" for me, after evicting a disgusting (probably mentally ill) inherited tenant.  They helped me deal with the shock and reminded me that my new mess was nowhere near as bad as some people's messes, and then seeing how nicely those messes cleaned up gave me lots of good feelings about how nice my unit was going to look.  I guess a sort of reminder that many other successful landlords have gotten through this and I will too.

Plus its just great entertainment in a sick sort of way, hahaha... :)  

That's a good way to look at it. After awhile it's just entertainment. Ya see every rental property investor goes through the same cycle when dealing with this stuff. 1st you get mad, then you get a lot of properties & it becomes entertainment. Then you eventually decide it's no longer funny & it's just time to sell your portfolio & buy a boat. As an Investor, Broker & PM I get a paycheck at every stage of this cycle. lol.

Do you have any Student housing in your portfolio? They could be a good source for your next round of photos. I worked for a big property manager when I was in school and remember a few doozies.

@James Wise you are spot on about bare mattresses and mattresses on floor being a HUGE red flag for nasty tenants. I got locked out of my first solo rental after college once taking out the trash (total craphole in C/D hood in upper Manhattan nyc) and went across the hall to ask my neighbor if I could use their phone. Their apartment looked worse than these pictures...a mound of trash with a path cleared through the center to walk, bare mattresses, etc. They had 2 adults, 2 kids, and a dog living in the same small (700 sq ft?) one bedroom floor plan I was living in as a just starting out young person. Totally shocking. The dad tried unsuccessfully to “help me out” by using a giant kitchen knife to attempt to break my door open so I didn’t have to wait for the locksmith. Lol. I should have called CPS but didn’t. They seemed to be a loving family - just totally unclean/disgusting. I think there are many people living in quiet filth and poverty in this country. I had lived across the hall from them for months and had no idea they were living like that. Saved my money and bought my own place ASAP - was so happy to get out of that s***hole.

I wonder what becomes of kids who grow up in filth like this? Also, when you screen do you accept evictions in C/D areas or is it possible to find tenants willing to live in this area who have a clean rental history?

Originally posted by @Ericka G. :

James Wise you are spot on about bare mattresses and mattresses on floor being a HUGE red flag for nasty tenants. I got locked out of my first solo rental after college once taking out the trash (total craphole in C/D hood in upper Manhattan nyc) and went across the hall to ask my neighbor if I could use their phone. Their apartment looked worse than these pictures...a mound of trash with a path cleared through the center to walk, bare mattresses, etc. They had 2 adults, 2 kids, and a dog living in the same small (700 sq ft?) one bedroom floor plan I was living in as a just starting out young person. Totally shocking. The dad tried unsuccessfully to “help me out” by using a giant kitchen knife to attempt to break my door open so I didn’t have to wait for the locksmith. Lol. I should have called CPS but didn’t. They seemed to be a loving family - just totally unclean/disgusting. I think there are many people living in quiet filth and poverty in this country. I had lived across the hall from them for months and had no idea they were living like that. Saved my money and bought my own place ASAP - was so happy to get out of that s***hole.

I wonder what becomes of kids who grow up in filth like this? Also, when you screen do you accept evictions in C/D areas or is it possible to find tenants willing to live in this area who have a clean rental history?

Evictions are a non negotiable. No matter what we won't place anyone with an eviction on their record. However the lower the asset class you do end up with a tenant base with a less stable work history, lower credit score, more accounts in collections & a more "colorful" criminal record. Violent felonies are another non negotiable though. No matter won't we will not place a tenant with a violent felony.

Originally posted by @Tony Kohnle :

Do you have any Student housing in your portfolio? They could be a good source for your next round of photos. I worked for a big property manager when I was in school and remember a few doozies.

We do! Students are actually pretty great tenants. I just filmed a video answering a question like this recently as a matter of fact. Ya see the college kids are controllable. Do they make mistakes? Yes. But when they do you can get them to pay for those mistakes pretty easily. Where as a tenant from hell has accepted their station in life as a tenant from hell & you are pretty much SOL when it comes to getting anything out of them.

@James Wise Thanks for sharing you POV. good to know that even in rougher areas - evictions are still a no-go. I have one unit in a B-area that we have been struggling to find a good tenant for this winter (it is in suburbs of Detroit) and was wavering a bit on a candidate who had great income but an eviction filing in 2014 - landlord didn’t actually evict her, just filed the initial paperwork. She also has a Rottweiler so we decided to pass. Trying to fill spots in the winter sucks.

Originally posted by @Ericka G. :

James Wise Thanks for sharing you POV. good to know that even in rougher areas - evictions are still a no-go. I have one unit in a B-area that we have been struggling to find a good tenant for this winter (it is in suburbs of Detroit) and was wavering a bit on a candidate who had great income but an eviction filing in 2014 - landlord didn’t actually evict her, just filed the initial paperwork. She also has a Rottweiler so we decided to pass. Trying to fill spots in the winter sucks.

Yea evictions a an absolute NO GO. If they have demonstrated they will willingly withhold rent & not move out of the unit once, they will simply do it again in the future. Or at the very least are more likely to do it again in the future then someone who's never done it before.

Originally posted by @James Wise :
Originally posted by @Tony Kohnle:

We do! Students are actually pretty great tenants. I just filmed a video answering a question like this recently as a matter of fact. Ya see the college kids are controllable. Do they make mistakes? Yes. But when they do you can get them to pay for those mistakes pretty easily. Where as a tenant from hell has accepted their station in life as a tenant from hell & you are pretty much SOL when it comes to getting anything out of them.

I'll have to check out the video. I'm sure it will be good. Most of the students I dealt with were pretty responsible and just put in the wear and tear you would expect from people new to being adults. A few made up for it though. I remember one of the managers taking the appraiser to a unit that had just been built and the tenants had been in for 3 days. And finding ever room trashed. Broken doors, head and shoulder shaped dents/holes in walls, cigarette burns on counters, iron shapes melted into the carpet, cracked toilets, etc. it had to have been one hell of a party.

Wow, that looks like the tenants that I just evicted. They cost me an unbelievable amount of money with all the damages and my PM took three months to get them out. It is definitely a battle sometimes and I just wonder where people get the mentality that they have sometimes. You have to wonder what kind of conditions they grew up in or where this type of behavior comes from. 

First of all, it looks great now.  NICE JOB!!!!

2nd of all ( I know you inherited these guys)  This is absolutely why we inspected the interior of the home EVERY YEAR.   We have to do safety smoke alarm testing anyway, so this is a great way to get into each room of the house. 

Originally posted by @Christine Kankowski :

First of all, it looks great now.  NICE JOB!!!!

2nd of all ( I know you inherited these guys)  This is absolutely why we inspected the interior of the home EVERY YEAR.   We have to do safety smoke alarm testing anyway, so this is a great way to get into each room of the house. 

I actually had a pretty good debate with another BP member about the inspection practice being something that is relevant to keeping things in line. You should check it out TENANTS FROM HELL #2 Tubs & Showers from hell. PICS INCLUDED! & let me know your thoughts on my stance on the subject.

Originally posted by @Anish Tolia :

Lots of America is basically third world. Bad water supply, no fresh food, predatory banking, low minimum wage, militarized police, and people who live like this. Sadly with the economic policy of the last 30 years and "screw the poor its their own fault" attitude which makes us feel better I dont see any reversal of the trend. 

Lol. The water is fine, the stores leave because the store owners get shot at and robbed, if they even showed up to work regularly they’d soon make more, and the police let them riot and burn here while being dirty, too. 

Subsidized housing is way above sane market rates here—which is why I want on the gravy train—and families get paid more to be poor than a middle class wage brings. 

Doesn’t take money not to be filthy. And having decent money doesn’t make you not filthy. My husband was an immigrant and grew up in filth and hoarding even though his father was a professor.  As a young kid, he regularly peed on his carpet in his room to avoid his abusive father...and NO ONE NOTICED because they were so filthy.  His family was in that apartment for four years. That was gallons and gallons of urine dumped into the carpet on an upper floor over years. 

No one noticed. And his father ranted about why they didn’t get their security deposit back. 

Kids who grow up in filth often treat their own properties the same way. It has taken nearly 20 years and $50k in damage IN OUR OWN HOMES that I’ve repaired or had repaired for him to see that living like a filthy pig is actually bad. 

I know how to bomb proof houses because I’ve done it to mine. Got door stops on every door. Soft close hinges on every cabinet. Extra durable flooring. He rotted out about 250 sqft of the house and then blamed me for wasting money when I had to repair it so we wouldn’t go through the subfloor.

My home is immaculate now, but it was a 2 decade battle that turned vicious before it was won several times. 

Don’t rent to filthy people. And if you discover damage, make sure it’s CHEAP damage.  If it’s progressive and expensive, kick them out!

Originally posted by @Genny Li :
Originally posted by @Anish Tolia:

Lots of America is basically third world. Bad water supply, no fresh food, predatory banking, low minimum wage, militarized police, and people who live like this. Sadly with the economic policy of the last 30 years and "screw the poor its their own fault" attitude which makes us feel better I dont see any reversal of the trend. 

Lol. The water is fine, the stores leave because the store owners get shot at and robbed, if they even showed up to work regularly they’d soon make more, and the police let them riot and burn here while being dirty, too. 

Subsidized housing is way above sane market rates here—which is why I want on the gravy train—and families get paid more to be poor than a middle class wage brings. 

Doesn’t take money not to be filthy. And having decent money doesn’t make you not filthy. My husband was an immigrant and grew up in filth and hoarding even though his father was a professor.  As a young kid, he regularly peed on his carpet in his room to avoid his abusive father...and NO ONE NOTICED because they were so filthy.  His family was in that apartment for four years. That was gallons and gallons of urine dumped into the carpet on an upper floor over years. 

No one noticed. And his father ranted about why they didn’t get their security deposit back. 

Kids who grow up in filth often treat their own properties the same way. It has taken nearly 20 years and $50k in damage IN OUR OWN HOMES that I’ve repaired or had repaired for him to see that living like a filthy pig is actually bad. 

I know how to bomb proof houses because I’ve done it to mine. Got door stops on every door. Soft close hinges on every cabinet. Extra durable flooring. He rotted out about 250 sqft of the house and then blamed me for wasting money when I had to repair it so we wouldn’t go through the subfloor.

My home is immaculate now, but it was a 2 decade battle that turned vicious before it was won several times. 

Don’t rent to filthy people. And if you discover damage, make sure it’s CHEAP damage.  If it’s progressive and expensive, kick them out!

Interesting story. I can see that leading many couples to divorce.

WOW! That is terrible! Thankfully, I haven't encountered this. I'm relieved you were able to handle this situation. 

Originally posted by @Jonathan Martinez :

WOW! That is terrible! Thankfully, I haven't encountered this. I'm relieved you were able to handle this situation. 

Don't worry Jonathan, stay in the game long enough and you will, lol. All good though, it's part of the fun!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here