When Tenants Get Protection Orders Against Each Other

4 Replies

Hi everyone-

I have a question Im hoping someone could lend a bit of insight on. The situation is this: 

A group of young women signed a lease on one of my SFR's in Michigan. One roommate got a protection order against another roommate living in the house. The situation is a total cluster right now, with "he said, she said" etc. I am unsure what my legal responsibilities are in this situation. Any thoughts? Thank you

Well, don't get in the middle of it.  If they ask you to changes locks etc, tell them you need something from court because legally you can't lock someone on the lease out.  Their recourse is through the court and police if someone wants someone locked out.  Also, they all still owe you the rent.

Originally posted by @Ryan Kuja :

Hi everyone-

I have a question Im hoping someone could lend a bit of insight on. The situation is this: 

A group of young women signed a lease on one of my SFR's in Michigan. One roommate got a protection order against another roommate living in the house. The situation is a total cluster right now, with "he said, she said" etc. I am unsure what my legal responsibilities are in this situation. Any thoughts? Thank you

Just stay out of it. Tell them that if the court makes one of them move out then so be it. Until then rent is still due on the 1st. Call me if you have an issues with the plumbing or furnace. Also you should note that usually when the tenants get those types of protection orders against each other they say that "person A cannot be within x ft of person B unless it is at their home".....Something to that effect. 

James Wise, Real Estate Agent in OH (#2015001161)
216-661-6633
Did she just ask for a no contact order or is it the the result of one party getting arrested during a police call? We had this happen and a no contact was issued against the arrested party. In Ma And RI it seems like they have to arrest someone. The arrested girl essentially had to move out and they found a replacement roommate. One thing i did have to change was I did not cc all in communications even though I usually do. I did not want to be the source of a violation of the no contact. The resident who was not arrested had to leave so the arrested person could get thier belongings and the police verified they were gone before they allowed her to enter. I changed the locks at the expense of the leaving tenant. The 3 of them agreed on doing it this way though.

Go over and be the referee , you definatly want to get in the middle of 3 women having a major problem . Use your manly charm to help work things out . BUT have your bail bondsman on speed dial .  

Dont do a damn thing , except to get 1 rent check  for the full amount .  Its their drama , not yours .  Explain to them full rent is due , or else you will ding all 3 of them on their credit . 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.