Air B&B Insurance question

2 Replies

We are about to finish up on a rehab here in Buckeye Lake, Ohio and are excited to turn it into an Air B&B home. My current insurance company cant write on them yet. She referred me to a company in Westerville (Berkshire Hathaway ) who can but they want almost 3 times what my normal insurance would be for a rental. I understand its more traffic but does this seem normal?   

Originally posted by @Leslie Fitch :

We are about to finish up on a rehab here in Buckeye Lake, Ohio and are excited to turn it into an Air B&B home. My current insurance company cant write on them yet. She referred me to a company in Westerville (Berkshire Hathaway ) who can but they want almost 3 times what my normal insurance would be for a rental. I understand its more traffic but does this seem normal?   

PM me and I can refer you to an insurance agent that can help.  

Hey @Leslie Fitch congrats on the rehab and welcome to BP! Do you guys plan to rent out the entire property at a time through Air B&B or do you plan to live in the home and rent out a bedroom? There is a big difference between the two with Insurance. Let me briefly explain...

If you rent out the entire property and do not live in the home then it is consider a vacation/short-term rental property which requires a very similar policy to a landlord policy. There are some differences like a 90 day vacancy provision instead of 60days for example. This policy should not be priced any different than if you were to make it a normal rental policy.

If you are living in the home then that changes everything as the risk is much greater and therefore you will need a commercial policy AKA you are now a "Bed and Breakfast." Yes this policy will cost more than the normal landlord policy.

Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions and best of luck.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.