Tenant said garage door is broken with door closed

6 Replies

Of course, it's Saturday.  Any suggestions on how to handle? 

Call a garage/overhead door service. That cable, and the one on the opposing side, will most likely need to be replaced. Hopefully there's one that can send someone out at this time of day. Only other option would be to pull the string on the opener to be able to raise the door manually, but without that cable connected to the pulley, that door may be too heavy for the tenant to lift and/or the door might get stuck in the track.

Originally posted by @Marcus Brown :

Call a garage/overhead door service. That cable, and the one on the opposing side, will most likely need to be replaced. Hopefully there's one that can send someone out at this time of day. Only other option would be to pull the string on the opener to be able to raise the door manually, but without that cable connected to the pulley, that door may be too heavy for the tenant to lift and/or the door might get stuck in the track.

that's been my experience as well.

Hopefully this doesn't cost me $500 or more

The door can always be operated manually. There’s no reason to call in ‘emergency’ service.

Needs to be fixed of course, but the tenant should still be able to get their car out, etc.

From the looks of it. I think the garage spring broke of. Had the similar thing happen to my primary resident garage door. I fixed it my self so it cost me about 250 but had to wait couple days for spring to arrive. Yeah I think if u have professional people do it will probably cost around 500 but will be done fast.

We have had this happen a number of times. Cable/springs or pulleys let go. 1st time it happened we freaked out but as Mike McCarthy said, it's not an emergency. Get the tenants car out of there (they may not be able to use the garage for a few days) and call someone in to fix it. Our garage door guy usually charges us about $125-$200 to fix this.

BTW - garage door issues happen often enough that we have a relationship with a garage door guy.

Rick

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.