Do you change term in the lease?

4 Replies

Hi all, I plan to change or add a provision on my lease ( which I bought from a legal website) But one of my PM informed me the following Modifying the contract terms is considered ‘practicing law’, and is forbidden unless you are a licensed attorney. Can we add an amendment on the lease agreement? I don’t see why not. Could be varies state by state? Thanks

@Liz C. google landlord tenant law for your state. Usually, if two parties sign a contract, it is enforceable by law. As long as your tenant agrees and it doesn't violate landlord tenant law in your state, you should be able to avoid life imprisonment.

Here is a link to what the American Bar association has to say re: practicing law.

The summary is you as a person can perform tasks for yourself, it is only if you advise or receive compensation for writing this that it is practicing law. For example when I go to the County recorder I will hear someone ask the recording clerk "can I just write XXX here" or something else similar. The clerks will respond " I'm sorry I am unable to provide legal advise and can only record what you provide, if you have a question about the documents you should consult an attorney".

So if you write a contract it isn't practicing law, unless you sell or otherwise advise someone else to use your contract.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.