2 adults, one qualifies, second doesn't have SSN

6 Replies

There's a couple that is interested to rent my SFH, the lady pre-qualified with her income, references, never evicted and clean criminal record. But her boyfriend has no Social Security Number to check his criminal record. Should I approve or decline them for not able to check the 2nd adult criminal background?

No SSN means one of two things:

1) They have an SSN but don't want to give it to you because of something you will find

2) They never got an SSN because they are not a citizen

To find out if they are #1 or #2, ask if they have a green card or other evidence that they have legal status to enter a rental contract.   If they have a green card, for example, then you are probably OK because they would get denied if the government had any knowledge of problems.  If they don't, for me that is a red flag.

Also where is the income coming from? They would need something to get paid so if it is not an ssn it is a TIN. Something to prove valid presence in the US indicating they were screened for entry or use name and DOB. Also see this thread: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/183099-background-checks-without-ss-number
Originally posted by @Colleen F. :
Also where is the income coming from? They would need something to get paid so if it is not an ssn it is a TIN. Something to prove valid presence in the US indicating they were screened for entry or use name and DOB. Also see this thread:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/183099-background-checks-without-ss-number

Thanks for your help, I checked the thread but I didn't find all answers I'm looking for. Can you check somebody's criminal record if they a only have TIN but no SSN? If yes, what would you use to run the background check with a TIN?

You can do a background with a TIN but it may not reveal much.

It is possible to be here on a TIN and not be legal, plenty of people with a valid TIN may not be lawful residents if for example they came on a visa and that visa was not renewed. The TIN would still be there as it is a number not proof of legal status.

When screening applicants you must screen every adult that intends to reside in the unit. If one applicant does not qualify you reject them all. This is a all or none business otherwise you risk ending up with a single unqualified tenant down the road.

Never waste your time trying to qualify applicants that are not able or willing to provide all necessary information required on your application. It isn't worth your time.

In Texas you can do a criminal check for the state with just a name and date of birth. Unless you’re asking to see the SS card, I don’t see what a SSN gets you on the criminal check side. I understand for credit, but really don’t you think a felon is going to give you a fake (or somebody else’s) SSN? I ask for drivers license or other ID and take a copy or picture for my apps.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.