Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
16y
I think the topic title is mis-worded. Tenant friendly would be soft and comfortable, like thick pile carpeting with top dollar padding underneath. And non-staining, so there's no big clean up needed.
Now, you probably meant landlord friendly flooring - where durability and longevity are desirable.
Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
16y
Had a house that had a sunroom with a painted concrete floor, that's the very best! Sticky tiles are cheap and an easy install, last a few years in kitchens, might not so long in a bath. Then tile, lam. carpet then hardwood. I put hardwood last because of cost if damaged and to have professionally replaced/restored. IMO
Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
16y
I agree with painted concrete. Almost bulletproof except to pet urine. I had a tough time getting the odor out and getting the new paint to stick.
Most of my rentals have the sticky vinyl squares. They all have the ame pattern and the tiles retail around $.35 each. I usually buy then in large enough quantities to get them for around $.30 each. Easy to replace when damaged.
Carpet is by far the worst, IMHO. every tenant wants you to replace the carpet and some stains and odors will not come out.
I have a couple with hardwood. Deep scratches are not cool. Normal wear on them is OK. If you want to make them look great for cheap you clean them with Murphy's oil and then put a clear coat of urethane on them. The floors will look spectacular and your prospective tenants will drool when they come in the door. Works every time.
Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
Painted wood floors are the lowest maintenance for normal flooring. Obviously, concrete would be great too. Everything else WILL be destroyed by the tenants.
Investor · Surf City, NC · Member since 2010 · 18 posts · 8 votes
16y
Thanks for asking this question Dan - I too am looking for suggestions for our first rehab project.
We uncovered beautiful hardwoods in the 3 bedrooms and living room - Plan to get them cleaned up and refinish them (Mr Sandless was the best price).
Kitchen and bath is where I was in limbo- The vinyl stick tiles are what we have decided on. For two reasons - price and we can do the work ourselves. My concern is what if water gets under them. The sales person I was talking to highly suggested we paint the luan plywood with a primer. Anybody else using these tiles have any words of advice.
Greg - Where are you getting tiles for .35? Thats a great price.
Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
16y
I'd use the CVT (commercial vinyl times) over those cheap sticky ones. A little more work to install. Much, much thicker, though, and the color goes all the way throught. They hold up great, and you can pop out a damaged one and replace it. There's a reason they use those in hospitals and other high traffic commercial applications.
Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by Jon Holdman:
I'd use the CVT (commercial vinyl times) over those cheap sticky ones. A little more work to install. Much, much thicker, though, and the color goes all the way throught. They hold up great, and you can pop out a damaged one and replace it. There's a reason they use those in hospitals and other high traffic commercial applications.
Jon, have you found CVT that doesn't look commercial? That looks as good as traditional residential floors?
Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
16y
It definitely looks commercial. But it looks a heck of a lot better than those cheap sticky tiles. Especially when the sticky tiles come loose. I actually like porcelain time even better, but it requires a sturdy floor to install and is more expensive.
Home depot and other stores only carry a few colors in stock, but can special order others. They make quite a variety.
Residential Real Estate Agent · Camden, NJ · Member since 2010 · 126 posts · 55 votes
16y
Originally posted by rich23s:
painted hardwood floors are the best for low to middle income areas. Costs me $0.06/sq foot in between renters.
the problem with paint i heard(because i would never do it) is that it starts to chip and the friction from the wood moving causes the paint to dust, and i don't want to imagine kids or babies crawling on paint dust. i've always rented a sander from home depot, and a can of polyurethane and it looks great after a couple of coats.
Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
16y
I think the topic title is mis-worded. Tenant friendly would be soft and comfortable, like thick pile carpeting with top dollar padding underneath. And non-staining, so there's no big clean up needed.
Now, you probably meant landlord friendly flooring - where durability and longevity are desirable.
Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
It all depends on the rental. If the house rents for over $2,000.00 a month, the tenants will want a very nice carpet and will usually take very good care of it. If the house rents for $500- $1000 a month, I usually use a very low grade carpet or vinyl tile. I don't like wood floors because of urine, both human and animal, soak into the wood and is a pain to fix.
Real Estate Investor · Elkhorn, WI · Member since 2008 · 453 posts · 104 votes
16y
Originally posted by Michael S.:
Originally posted by rich23s:
painted hardwood floors are the best for low to middle income areas. Costs me $0.06/sq foot in between renters.
the problem with paint i heard(because i would never do it) is that it starts to chip and the friction from the wood moving causes the paint to dust, and i don't want to imagine kids or babies crawling on paint dust. i've always rented a sander from home depot, and a can of polyurethane and it looks great after a couple of coats.
why wouldn't you ever do it? You don't like making money? :lol:
have you ever scratched poly? That makes dust too. I'm just saying that the renters like painted floors and I like my low maintenance/ 6 cents per square foot flooring. My houses rent from $750-$950/month.
Real Estate Investor · Portage, MI · Member since 2010 · 470 posts · 315 votes
16y
Carpet, vinyl or ceramic (for baths & kitchens) Use the best grade pad for the carpet so you can get a couple of change outs. Don't use builder grade carpet. Use a good stain resistant frieze and it will hold up much better than a plush and will look good after cleaning for a new tenant. Watch your colors, too!
Painted floors.....I hate to think of the tenants that that would attract! When I was involved with student rentals, I gave them a nice place and 90% of them left it so. The other 10% helped feed my maintenance people and suppliers!
Bill
Residential Real Estate Agent · Camden, NJ · Member since 2010 · 126 posts · 55 votes
16y
Originally posted by Bill Patterson:
Painted floors.....I hate to think of the tenants that that would attract! When I was involved with student rentals, I gave them a nice place and 90% of them left it so. The other 10% helped feed my maintenance people and suppliers!
Bill
i've sold and shown many homes and never heard anyone say "could you show me a house with painted floors" i don't even think i seen it done on tv...i guess it's a midwest thing!
Residential Real Estate Agent · Camden, NJ · Member since 2010 · 126 posts · 55 votes
16y
Originally posted by rich23s:
why wouldn't you ever do it? You don't like making money? :lol:
i would never do something to a rental that i wouldn't do to my home....if my wife were to put me out(again) i would have no problem living in one.....
Flipper · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 973 posts · 679 votes
16y
Originally posted by Michael S.:
i've sold and shown many homes and never heard anyone say "could you show me a house with painted floors" i don't even think i seen it done on tv...i guess it's a midwest thing!
Haven't you heard? These are all the rage now in Europe! :mrgreen:
Residential Real Estate Agent · Camden, NJ · Member since 2010 · 126 posts · 55 votes
16y
Originally posted by Marc Freislinger:
Originally posted by Michael S.:
i've sold and shown many homes and never heard anyone say "could you show me a house with painted floors" i don't even think i seen it done on tv...i guess it's a midwest thing!
Haven't you heard? These are all the rage now in Europe! :mrgreen:
Real Estate Investor · Portage, MI · Member since 2010 · 470 posts · 315 votes
16y
Originally posted by Michael S.:
Originally posted by Bill Patterson:
Painted floors.....I hate to think of the tenants that that would attract! When I was involved with student rentals, I gave them a nice place and 90% of them left it so. The other 10% helped feed my maintenance people and suppliers!
Bill
i've sold and shown many homes and never heard anyone say "could you show me a house with painted floors" i don't even think i seen it done on tv...i guess it's a midwest thing!
Real Estate Investor · Elkhorn, WI · Member since 2008 · 453 posts · 104 votes
16y
Well, I have to admit....this is a first. The OP asks a question, several people give their feedback, and a small group actually makes fun of the responses. Oh well. Wonder if comparing cash flow would make a difference.
I would never fix my rentals the same as my own house because I would go out of business.
Real Estate Investor · Portage, MI · Member since 2010 · 470 posts · 315 votes
16y
MikeOH is just in a different market than I am used to. I have poked fun at him before on painted floors! No big deal!
I still believe (even with student rentals) that if you provide a quality product and expect the tenants to respect and care for their apartment, most will do so. When leasing season comes around, our leasing agents inform the prospective tenants what we expect and we have a reputation for that. It attracts a better tenant and the out of control, spoiled kid can rent down the street and my tenants can go to his house and watch him puke on his carpet when they want to party!
Bill
Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
16y
Originally posted by rich23s:
I would never fix my rentals the same as my own house because I would go out of business.
I'm with you on this Rich. My rentals are in blue collar neighborhoods. I provide clean and simple housing. They can't afford anything high end. They don't abuse the property but wear and tear happens.