Finding renters.... section 8 or no .. Minnesota

Finding renters.... section 8 or no .. Minnesota

Saint Cloud, MN · Member since 2017 · 31 posts · 3 votes

Working on getting my SFH in St.Cloud MN up to speed and rented out. seeing if anybody has had good/bad experience with section 8. Been told to avoid it at all cost, and others have told me do it just make sure to get a nice big damage deposit.

House i'll be renting out will be in the the middle/lower income neighborhood, blue color family. 

3 bedroom, 1 bath, fenced in back yard, 1 garage shooting for $1,200 a month (I'll pay water/garbage) 

Plan to manage it myself since this is my only one, and its close by where I live. 

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Crystal, MN · Member since 2013 · 486 posts · 277 votes
8y

@Patrick C.

I have one property with a section 8 renter. What is not commonly known is that some section 8 applicants work, but just have an income below what is needed to support their family. My section 8 tenant gets about 25% of her rent paid for by HUD. She is a great tenant.

I screen her just like any other applicant.  The prior landlord, who I know a little bit, told me she was a good tenant, and she had been there over 4 years.  Just check them out.  

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    8y

    @Patrick C.

    I have 2 section 8 houses in SC and I love it.

    Tenants take good care of my properties because they don't want to loose their free money.

    The Section 8 people inspect my properties annually for free.

    The government direct deposits their portion of rent like clockwork every month.

    I have 2 long term tenants that are great.

    I did screen my tenants like for any other property and turned down 2 people before I accepted one of my tenants.

  • Tim SwierczekPro Member
    Lender · White Bear Township, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Patrick C. I would generally save Section 8 for low-income areas unless of course, you are in Minneapolis which requires you to accept it.  You will need to find out the max voucher amount for a 3 bed in your area.  If it's below $1200 then you really have nothing to consider, unless of course, you want to lower your rent.

  • Rental Property Investor · MN · Member since 2015 · 186 posts · 149 votes
    8y

    I've had Section 8 tenants once, never again. Showed up nicely dressed, nice car, with good credit score (husband), and no criminal record. I asked for a higher security deposit. Long story short, that security deposit covered 1/3 of the damages to the property and appliances. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I agree with @Account Closed mentioned Mpls' new ordinance which requires landlords to accept Section 8.  That is correct however I think you could setup your rental criteria so anyone who would receive housing assistance would not qualify.  

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 353 posts · 223 votes
    8y

    I was thinking about it on one single family home I own but have not done it yet. It is currently a 3BR and the voucher allowed for my city (per HUD) is $300/mo higher than I think I would normally be able to get for it. Every time I rent a place in that city, I have people asking about section 8 even though it specifically states no section 8 in my ads. I don't believe my city has many section 8 rentals and it is a desireable area so I may consider it if I were to have a vacancy.

    The only reasons I would consider it on this home is because it is not fully updated, I think there may be a shortage of options for people who may want to get into the city, and I think it would be possible to get more in rent this way.

    I wouldn't consider it on my properties otherwise as I have not had a problem placing good tenants in the past.  

  • Investor · Crystal, MN · Member since 2013 · 486 posts · 277 votes
    8y

    @Patrick C.

    I have one property with a section 8 renter. What is not commonly known is that some section 8 applicants work, but just have an income below what is needed to support their family. My section 8 tenant gets about 25% of her rent paid for by HUD. She is a great tenant.

    I screen her just like any other applicant.  The prior landlord, who I know a little bit, told me she was a good tenant, and she had been there over 4 years.  Just check them out.  

  • Real Estate Broker · Provo, UT · Member since 2013 · 689 posts · 511 votes
    8y

    I've had extensive experience with sec8.  I don't love it and I try to avoid it, but in many cases that is/was the only way to get a property to perform.  Most of mine were in low income areas, however I did have 1 in Vegas a couple years ago that paid $1300 (which was the market rent) plus $150 for utilities, and it was in a fairly decent area. 

    Given the option to get the same money on cash or sec8, I would go for cash.  Less headaches, and cash tenants have always been better to deal with.

  • Real Estate Broker · Provo, UT · Member since 2013 · 689 posts · 511 votes
    8y

    @Patrick C.  P.S. Before you go down the sec8 road, you should chat with at least 1 local property manager about their experience with the local sec8 office.  

    The rules and regulations are similar across the US, but the actual benefits for a tenant can vary slightly based upon county contributions, non profits, etc... Some sec8 offices / case workers are easy going & cool to work with, others totally suck and are total brain damage.

    Also, the landlord / owners take on some decent liability with sec8.  

    Not saying it's either good or bad because each situation is unique - but just make sure you know what you're getting in to.

  • Saint Cloud, MN · Member since 2017 · 31 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Thanks for all the input. 

    I have spoken with different investors, some like section 8, some hate it with it being my first rental, I might try to do this with no section 8. 

  • Property Manager · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 380 posts · 167 votes
    8y
    I am not going to comment either way on if it is a good program or not. In Minneapolis it is going to be mandatory in May. Hopefully not followed by rent control in the future. Does anyone know the limits for a studio, one and 2 bedroom you need to at to be above the threshold? I have asked a lot of commercial brokers already, but no one so far has had a straight forward answer.
  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 401 posts · 221 votes
    8y
    This is a generalization, and just what I observed. There are two type of section 8 tenants. - First type know the value of the housing voucher, and appreciate it. They tend to be responsible & keep the property in good shape as they don’t want to lose the voucher. Some also have side jobs, earning cash income. I have heard about section 8 tenants that put their own time and money into fixing up fence, landscape .... for the landlord. (In San Jose, the market is tight and having a voucher doesn’t guarantee a rental) - Second type are the entitlement group. You can detect the entitlement attitude when you talk to them. I have had a section 8 tenant complains that it’s unacceptable that the government didn’t allow her 5 years old daughter to have her own bedroom and has to share with her 7 years old sister. (her housing voucher was paying over 3K a month). This group mostly doesn’t work, and is not responsible, so they tent to ask for lower security deposit & have trouble coming up with money to pay their share of rent. Avoid these group.
  • Tim SwierczekPro Member
    Lender · White Bear Township, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Michael Tempel have you checked with the county?  In Ramsey County if the loandord pays utilities the numbers are:

    Studio 711

    1bed 864

    2bed 1089

     There are deductions from these numbers if the landlord does not pay the utilities and there’s a chart on page 14 of this attachment detailing all of the unit charges and utility deductions http://www.stpha.org/images/section8/S8LLhandbook.pdf

    A quick search did not pull up Hennepin County’s numbers however I just requested a copy of them from their website PM me your email and I’ll send it to you when I get it.

    PS-  we need to go to lunch soon. 

  • Rental Property Investor · MN · Member since 2015 · 186 posts · 149 votes
    8y

    @Michael Tempel @Tim Swierczek I believe you're looking for this: https://www.housinglink.org/SubsidizedHousing/Section8VoucherMaps

  • Property Manager · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 380 posts · 167 votes
    8y
    Pavel - Thank you! Great info. Tim- Anytime, sounds like we both have a lot to catch up on:-)
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.