Votes
Eric F.
  • Pullman, WA
Votes |
Inherited tenants and "Property Manager"

Eric F.
  • Pullman, WA
Posted Feb 18 2018, 18:36

Offer accepted on my first deal (triplex) and inspection pending (WA State).

During my initial walk-through, I met a couple who seemed to be more than knowledgeable about the property, possessed keys to storage areas (possibly other units too), had special parking spaces, and stated that they take care of the things around the place including the large yard in exchange for lower rent. I asked if they were the property managers and they were quick to say no, they just "help out" since the owner is out of state. Upon seeing leases for all three units, their names were signed on the "Property Manager" line. Feels like there's a soft agreement between this couple and the owner.

I spoke with all other tenants privately and they seem to be very happy with the current non-property-manager.

I like the idea of resident lawn care, but am concerned about legality of a resident property manager (I'm new to this and not ready for employees on a small triplex). Any pointers here? A few thoughts in the back of my mind:

• Estoppel agreement - need this anyway, but in this case I could clarify any special handshake deals with the last owner and this resident manager.
  • Relieve couple of any management duties like leases, walk-throughs, etc. as I can handle that now.
  • At lease-renewal, make lawn care specifically part of this tenant's lease (and mark rent appropriately lower).

Please let me know if I'm close to the mark or far off :)

Loading replies...