Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Ian Livaich
  • Attorney
  • Cherry Hill, NJ
Votes |
Calculating Expenses for Small Multifamily (Repairs/CapEx)

Ian Livaich
  • Attorney
  • Cherry Hill, NJ
Posted Feb 23 2018, 20:52

Hey everyone,

I am searching for a small multifamily property (most likely a duplex) in South Jersey.  I am going to look at three properties tomorrow with my agent.  I am crunching the numbers and determining at what price these deals make sense.  While these particular deals do not make sense unless there is a 20-30% discount, I am wondering if you all estimate different expenses for small multifamily properties any different than SFRs.  I understand that this depends on the location and condition of the properties, but I am looking for general advice and insight as to the numbers you all use.

I have seen BP users use anywhere from 5-10% for vacancy, repairs, and capex.  I am using 8% for each to be conservative. What do you all use for small multis?  Because gross income is higher for small multis, that 24% really adds up.  I was thinking that for small multis, some of the major expenses are under one roof and spread out across units (roof, HVAC, water heaters, etc.) compared to SFRs.  So, is it necessary to budget as high as 24% for vacancy, repairs, and capex when each unit does not have its own roof, HVAC, etc.?

Thanks for your input.

Loading replies...