Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
John Smith
  • Toronto, Ontario
Votes |
Ontario - Tenants separated, advice needed.

John Smith
  • Toronto, Ontario
Posted Feb 27 2018, 12:28

Looking for advice on the following situation:

Unit was rented out to a couple - let's call them Bob and Alice. Both Bob and Alice are listed as tenants on the lease - but financials are mostly provided by Bob.

2 months into the lease, I am contacted by Bob's lawyer who claims the couple has separated and Bob is no longer living in the unit.

Bob's lawyer claims that Alice will no longer be able to continue paying rent without Bob's support. And in addition, she has been smoking pot in the unit which is in breach of our lease.

Bob's lawyer has asked for my authorization to prepare an eviction on my behalf because Alice is not willing to leave on her own accord.

Any advice on what the landlord should do here? From my perspective, both Bob and Alice are on the lease. They are only 2 months into the lease and I am out a month's worth of rent for the broker fee, plus it will take at least a month to fill the unit again. Also, I am not sure of any damages to the unit at this time. Is there anyway to recoup these funds as part of a "early lease termination agreement"? Does giving authorization to evict waive my ability to negotiate this type of agreement?

Any advice appreciated.

Loading replies...