moving a tenant to a different property

6 Replies

My tenant is currently renting from us but I have another property that will be available soon. The rent would be $500 more and is bigger with more land. How do we end the current lease? Is there anything else I need to be aware of before doing this?

if tenant wants to move to the new property write up a new lease and have them sign it. then make an addendum for the old lease, agreeing to end it on x date.

If they are on a term lease you can not terminate or force them to move. Once the term is up or if they are on M2M you can give a notice to non renew and ask if they would like to rent the other property. It will be your tenants decision not yours.

@Jackie Kendrick   If you and the tenant are both agreeable to them moving to this new property, simply draw up a new lease for the new property and then mutually terminate the old one.  Should be a pretty simple process if you are both in agreement.

How long have they been where they currently are? How much time is left in their lease?  I typically don't like moving tenants mid lease, especially If they haven't been there very long.  However, if they have been there for a few years already, you can definitely have an addendum that you both sign that terminates the current lease.  One piece of advice that I would have is to keep the two leases as separate as possible.  Make sure you get a new full deposit for the bigger place and don't just "transfer" the deposit over.  You can then go through your normal walk-through process and return whats left of the original deposit afterward.  Also, make sure that they are paying for both places during the moving days and not occupying 2 places for a week while moving and only paying on one.

Originally posted by @Austin Chambers :

How long have they been where they currently are? How much time is left in their lease?  I typically don't like moving tenants mid lease, especially If they haven't been there very long.  However, if they have been there for a few years already, you can definitely have an addendum that you both sign that terminates the current lease.  One piece of advice that I would have is to keep the two leases as separate as possible.  Make sure you get a new full deposit for the bigger place and don't just "transfer" the deposit over.  You can then go through your normal walk-through process and return whats left of the original deposit afterward.  Also, make sure that they are paying for both places during the moving days and not occupying 2 places for a week while moving and only paying on one.

They are new tenants, have 6 more months left on the lease. My rational is that it would be easier to rent the lower priced rental because its only $1,000 because in my area those go quickly 

The reason I do not like to move tenants this quickly is because now instead of 1 turnover for your bigger place, you now have to turn over 2 units.  every time you turn over a unit, it costs time and money and the fewer of them you can do the better.  However, if they are great tenants and they are wanting a bigger place, you lose them at the end of the lease anyway.  I probably wouldn't do it personally, but completely understand the rational behind it.  Like I mentioned earlier though, make sure that they get a new 1 year lease at the bigger place and keep deposits separate

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.