moving a tenant to a different property

6 Replies

My tenant is currently renting from us but I have another property that will be available soon. The rent would be $500 more and is bigger with more land. How do we end the current lease? Is there anything else I need to be aware of before doing this?

if tenant wants to move to the new property write up a new lease and have them sign it. then make an addendum for the old lease, agreeing to end it on x date.

If they are on a term lease you can not terminate or force them to move. Once the term is up or if they are on M2M you can give a notice to non renew and ask if they would like to rent the other property. It will be your tenants decision not yours.

@Jackie Kendrick   If you and the tenant are both agreeable to them moving to this new property, simply draw up a new lease for the new property and then mutually terminate the old one.  Should be a pretty simple process if you are both in agreement.

How long have they been where they currently are? How much time is left in their lease?  I typically don't like moving tenants mid lease, especially If they haven't been there very long.  However, if they have been there for a few years already, you can definitely have an addendum that you both sign that terminates the current lease.  One piece of advice that I would have is to keep the two leases as separate as possible.  Make sure you get a new full deposit for the bigger place and don't just "transfer" the deposit over.  You can then go through your normal walk-through process and return whats left of the original deposit afterward.  Also, make sure that they are paying for both places during the moving days and not occupying 2 places for a week while moving and only paying on one.

Originally posted by @Austin Chambers :

How long have they been where they currently are? How much time is left in their lease?  I typically don't like moving tenants mid lease, especially If they haven't been there very long.  However, if they have been there for a few years already, you can definitely have an addendum that you both sign that terminates the current lease.  One piece of advice that I would have is to keep the two leases as separate as possible.  Make sure you get a new full deposit for the bigger place and don't just "transfer" the deposit over.  You can then go through your normal walk-through process and return whats left of the original deposit afterward.  Also, make sure that they are paying for both places during the moving days and not occupying 2 places for a week while moving and only paying on one.

They are new tenants, have 6 more months left on the lease. My rational is that it would be easier to rent the lower priced rental because its only $1,000 because in my area those go quickly 

The reason I do not like to move tenants this quickly is because now instead of 1 turnover for your bigger place, you now have to turn over 2 units.  every time you turn over a unit, it costs time and money and the fewer of them you can do the better.  However, if they are great tenants and they are wanting a bigger place, you lose them at the end of the lease anyway.  I probably wouldn't do it personally, but completely understand the rational behind it.  Like I mentioned earlier though, make sure that they get a new 1 year lease at the bigger place and keep deposits separate

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.