Tenant screening rules and regs

3 Replies

Hello all.  So, a very small (but highly annoying!) problem here.  I wanted to see if anyone has experienced this.  

My tenant screening service is requiring me to change my online account password every 3 or 4 months. They are claiming this is the law under the FCRA (Fair Credit Act). I initially challenged them, and they confirmed this was the case. I've done some indep research and can find no clause (so far) within FCRA stating a " mandatory 90-day account password reset."

Has anyone else been required to change their log-in credentials with a third party screening service?

This may seem very minuscule.  However I have had this happen TWICE and (you guessed it) always when I really needed to log into my account.  The screening company literally locks me out of my online account and I have to contact them over the phone.  

I know BP endorses Smartmove by TransUnion.  I have used them once and wasnt overly impressed with the service, given what they charge.  My screening service charges me half what Smartmove does, and is great except for this stupid online credential policy.  

Any feedback is welcome.

This is very common. I was in charge of accounting for a non profit, and we had to log into bank accounts, various city and state databases, and some or most require changes in passwords at certain but frequent intervals.

One solution is to use a "password manager". They remember user id's and passwords for you. Not only that, they also generate new ones and store the passwords at certain intervals or time of your choosing. The advantage here is it generate strong hard to guess passwords. The down side is you're stuck if you have a problem with the password manager and cannot log in to it.

Another way is to create a base password, with numbers appended to the end or somewhere in the middle. So if the base password is :"Dr.Philismyfavoriteshow", is added a number such as 222 at the end. This number is incremented each time the password is changed, so if you forgot what you change it to, you can easily figure it out. So the last 3 digits would be 223, the 224 etc. I had a guy in the department that always write down the passwords he made up somewhere and forgets where he put them. So this works very well for him.

Thanks @Frank Chin !  Appreciate the pointers.  I know this is a very small complaint (but so annoying).  

I do the same thing. I put a 1 at the end of the password and then go up from there. That way it's easier to guess if it's not working the first time.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.