Votes
Dave Rav
  • Summerville, SC
Votes |
Tenant screening rules and regs

Dave Rav
  • Summerville, SC
Posted Mar 5 2018, 10:18

Hello all.  So, a very small (but highly annoying!) problem here.  I wanted to see if anyone has experienced this.  

My tenant screening service is requiring me to change my online account password every 3 or 4 months. They are claiming this is the law under the FCRA (Fair Credit Act). I initially challenged them, and they confirmed this was the case. I've done some indep research and can find no clause (so far) within FCRA stating a " mandatory 90-day account password reset."

Has anyone else been required to change their log-in credentials with a third party screening service?

This may seem very minuscule.  However I have had this happen TWICE and (you guessed it) always when I really needed to log into my account.  The screening company literally locks me out of my online account and I have to contact them over the phone.  

I know BP endorses Smartmove by TransUnion.  I have used them once and wasnt overly impressed with the service, given what they charge.  My screening service charges me half what Smartmove does, and is great except for this stupid online credential policy.  

Any feedback is welcome.

Loading replies...