Parking Issues at a Triplex

3 Replies

I have a triplex on a lot with no room for parking in the back, is on a narrow street and each unit has its own driveway and garage. It is a new build and not completed yet, so . So before I have concrete poured, I am wanting suggestions from more experienced landlords who have worked through these issues. Will this be a problem? Is this even something I should worry about? The triplex is in a small community that is quickly growing (Walmart home office country, Tyson foods, Little Debbie cakes), so I'm trying to head off any problems before I get there. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.  

If each unit has it's own driveway and garage, and the driveway can hold one car, then two cars can be parked on site, including the garage. Is there street parking besides? Longer driveways can hold two cars.

I seen these situations, and the problem arises when you rent a unit to 4 or more adult tenants, have 4 or more cars, they don't have enough room to park on site, use limited street parking in front of other people's homes, which escalates into ugly disputes. 

At one of my rentals, a tenant's neighbor rented extra rooms out, had 4 to 6 cars for a property that had room for at most 3 cars, so winds up street parking  in front of neighboring homes. There's a unwritten rule there that you don't park in front of other's homes.

I don't have that problem as I have a corner lot plus a 2 car wide long driveway that can park 4 cars, plus street parking for another five. Others down the street aren't so lucky. So you have to see how many cars the tenant will have.

Hey Jerry

Without seeing the space you shouldn’t have a problem with each unit having it’s own driveway. As Frank pointed out it could depend on the BR/BA combo and how many residents in each unit.

I just had a parking lot poured for my 12 unit in Springdale AR and could give you a contact for someone to come look at it for you as well

Thanks. And glad to hear from another Northwest Arkansas poster. The builder and I decided to pour an extra small pad attached to the driveways that extend out to the side so that 2nd cars can park out of the way of 1st car.

I’m just trying to think of as many headaches that I will encounter and address them now in the building process.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.