• SFR Investor
  • South Bend, IN
Votes |
Wear and tear vs tenant damage

Amie D.
  • SFR Investor
  • South Bend, IN
Posted Mar 8 2018, 20:45

Fiver-year SFR tenants moved out. Refused showings, which made me suspect they had something to hide (addressed in a previous post.)

Property managers now want to charge me $1886 to repaint the interior of the 764 sq foot house with one coat of paint. The house was professionally painted with a high-quality antique white paint before these tenants moved in. Now however, the walls have white wall patch all over from the tenants attempting to patch holes that they made. 

The property managers said they wouldn’t charge the tenants for this because they said the house would need to be repainted anyway. HOWEVER, upon reviewing the photos, I noticed the tenants also - without approval - painted much of the house various colors (blue, orange, etc).

The property managers seem to ignore the fact that the tenant had broken the lease by refusing showings, and now that they had painted the property without permission. The tenants had asked to paint and were informed in writing they could not. 

The property managers also want to charge $1200 to lightly sand and apply two coats of poly to the about 250 sq ft of hardwood floors. The floors have black stains on them as well as water stains. They had been freshly restored/refinished with no stains before the tenants moved in.  

I get there is maintenance that needs to be done when a tenant moves out; but it seems like this property manager cares little for what the tenant actually did?!? 

Or would you just let it go In the name of “normal maintenance”? Thanks! 

Loading replies...