Votes
Gabe G.
  • Greenwood, IN
Votes |
Fire at rental/question on how to proceed

Gabe G.
  • Greenwood, IN
Posted Mar 16 2018, 15:25

So I got a call, from a tenant on one of my rentals, this week, to tell me the house was on fire. I'm like ugh, ok.  ha.

Tenants said they weren't home, and a neighbor had called the fire department and put it out.

Tenant sent pictures, and for a fire, that damage was not too bad, damaged some vinyl siding etc.

So, obviously since the tenant was not there, I am thinking it must of been some electrical issue. However, both me and my contractor looking at it, It appears the fire starting from outside, and came up against the house, rather, than the electrical, which would start inside. The drywall inside on the other side of the fire, was undamaged.

I also ordered the fire report, from the fire department, that indicated a cigarette, as the likely cause, and noted it's presence, in the area of the fire.

So now I have evidence, my tenant is lieing to me. The evidence, points that, they went to smoke outside of the house(they don't smoke inside), and tossed a cigarette causing the fire, as the first started, right by the front porch.

How would you approach this? Damage, to replace vinyl etc, is likely to be relatively small of 200-300 dollars.

Would you fix it, and then keep the evidence to take out of their security deposit when they choose to move out, or would you confront them with the evidence, and post a bill for the amount of the work?

The tenants keep the house relatively clean, and while they are late on rent alot, they are currently up to date.

Thoughts?

Loading replies...