• Ormond Beach, FL
Votes |
Denying a Tenant's Application

Kristin Kiddy
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ormond Beach, FL
Posted Mar 21 2018, 14:23

Hi all,

Well the house is renovated and listed for rent!  And we've gotten some "interesting" enquiries!  But we also got a tenant application who I have to deny.  Here is the scenario and I would appreciate any advice on how to word this denial.   The tenants are siblings and they do not make enough individually to afford the rental.  They do make enough together to afford it.  The first sibling had a great background check and no issues.  Unfortunately, the second sibling has an eviction on their background check record and also a misdemeanor driving with a suspended driver's license.  A recent one at that.  (I am a little confused at why they went forward with paying for the background checks when they knew we were going to check.)  

Anyways, we can't go forward with the rental agreement due to that eviction record.  How do I explain this?  I feel bad for the first sibling who seems to be a straight shooter.  But I also don't want them to be stuck in a lease they can't afford when the other one decides to "wig out on them".

Any help in letting the first sibling down gently would be appreciated.

Loading replies...