Landlord Firing - 10 business days and hasn't responded...

12 Replies

Hey Team,

Been asking to talk on the phone with my PM for over 10 business days now, and now one is getting back to me. 

I sent a 30 day notice via email and in person to end services but can't get anyone on the phone to discuss the transition from current PM to new PM. 

First time replacing  a PM so I'd love some thoughts and considerations! 

Thank you!!

@Daniel Garcia - Go show up in person. Or if you are not close, just call them. You  comment made it seem like you had called, you have just been emailing them asking to talk. 

Or look at having your new PM stop by to get a copy of the tenant files and keys.

@Andrew Kerr I actually did the firing in person last week when I was in town. (I'm in So Cal and they are in OR) but I only got to speak with the assistant since the PM wasn't in the office. And I've left multiple voicemails, but no-one ever picks up the phone! 

I've begun the process of hiring a new PM so once we're under contract I'll have her stop by to pick up paper work and keys as you mentioned, but still wondering if there are any blind spots??

I think they have given you permission to bombard them with correspondence.

email, phone call, write a letter. 3x a day until satisfied.

This situation would infuriate me, in fact my blood is boiling just thinking about someone I'm paying ghosting me for 10 days.

At least you know that you made the right decision by firing them. Can you imagine if a tenant called with an emergency to the company?

I would call them repeatedly u til you get a respons

Sorry. Previous post was somehow sent before I completed it. I would call them repeatedly until they pick up. They seem to be avoiding you so perhaps you can call them from other numbers which they do not associate with you or block your number when you call them. If that does not work then perhaps have a friend stop by the office in person or let the new property manager know about your situation and ask them to intervene on your behalf.

If they are licensed perhaps you can report them to their licensing board.

Tried the blocked number and the different phone numbers with different area codes approach, all great tips. I think the final step is just being patient and waiting for new PM to handle it from here. I really don't understand why avoiding the issue solves anything. Plus, when I delivered the 30 day notice in person I also delivered a bottle of wine to smooth over any hard feelings.  

Thank you everyone for the feedback! 

You all work magic! They just called!!! 

Send letters to the tenants right away and follow up with a phone call telling them where to send the rent and who to call for problems .  Since its the end of the month already , I would call the tenants and tell them to send the rent to the new PM right away . 

Now to get their attention , since they are avoiding you , have someone else walk into their office with their portfolio of investment properties ( a file folder full of old papers)  wanting to do business with them .  The only paper in that pile is a notorized authorization allowing that person to collect keys , and any monies due.  ( make sure its someone real big and mean looking ) 

What is the transition date?  It is too close to the end of the month to notify tenants to pay somebody else April rent. I would wait till the 15th to deliver that notice so they have time to get everything set up for May 

Brie Schmidt, Real Estate Agent in Illinois (#471.018287) and Wisconsin (#57846-90)
Originally posted by @Daniel Garcia :

Tried the blocked number and the different phone numbers with different area codes approach, all great tips. I think the final step is just being patient and waiting for new PM to handle it from here. I really don't understand why avoiding the issue solves anything. Plus, when I delivered the 30 day notice in person I also delivered a bottle of wine to smooth over any hard feelings.  

Thank you everyone for the feedback! 

You gave them a bottle of wine when you fired them? I hope it had a screw on cap.

Thank you @Brie Schmidt , for the pointer! 

@Joe Splitrock , it wasn't anything fancy, that's for sure! 

I've since got calls back from the PM on 30 day notice, so we should be good from here. Thanks everyone! 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.