Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Sigurd Panke
  • Coeur d'Alene, ID
Votes |
Upflush toilet in the basement a good or bad idea?

Sigurd Panke
  • Coeur d'Alene, ID
Posted Mar 30 2018, 11:30

I'm renovating a three bedroom, one bath single family home and will rent it out when done. Two bedrooms and bath on main floor, and in the partially finished basement is one bedroom, an 18' x 11' bonus room, a laundry room and a furnace room. I'm considering partitioning the laundry room in half and adding a half bath.

Sewer main is above basement floor, so if I put in the half bathroom, I'd be installing an upflush toilet like the Saniflo Compact or the Saniflo Sanibest. 

I'm wondering about future problems with an upflush toilet from renters being careless. Reviews of upflush toilets talk about pump issues when non-toilet waste (bobby pins, dental floss, sanitary napkins, etc) gets sucked into the pump. 

The basement is a really nice space, and a half bath down there would be functional, but I don't want to be coming over here once a year to troubleshoot a toilet.

Can anybody speak with experience about a rental that they own that has an upflush toilet in it and whether it's been problem free or a real hassle? 

Thanks!

Loading replies...