Security deposit laws in Los Angeles

4 Replies

My property manager just quit and my tenants are due to move out tomorrow. She's doing the walk-through with them, but won't do anything beyond that. I don't know the laws around returning the security deposit. She told me we have 21 days to get them the money, but I don't know exactly what documentation I need to send if we deduct any money. Does anyone have a guide or legal resource around what exactly needs to happen and when regarding security deposits in Los Angeles? I live out of state...which makes the whole thing even more difficult. Thanks!

Hey @Marcia Gilad

That is correct. You have 21 days to figure out the security deposit. You know how lawsuit happy people here are so I wouldn't go a day beyond that limit.

As far as documentation...the short answer is - you need to provide the tenant an itemized receipt of what you deducted and why. However there's a few more details. Check out these websites. They'll have all your answers. 

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/se...

http://www.courts.ca.gov/1049.htm

I'm a realtor in LA. Let me know if you need any help with anything else :)

Originally posted by @Marcia Gilad :

My property manager just quit and my tenants are due to move out tomorrow. She's doing the walk-through with them, but won't do anything beyond that. I don't know the laws around returning the security deposit. She told me we have 21 days to get them the money, but I don't know exactly what documentation I need to send if we deduct any money. Does anyone have a guide or legal resource around what exactly needs to happen and when regarding security deposits in Los Angeles? I live out of state...which makes the whole thing even more difficult. Thanks!

Don’t  you have a contract with your PM? She can quit all day long but she has to fulfill the contract otherwise she’s in breach. Is she a one woman operation or a company? 

But what Samuel said 

You have 21 days to return the deposit or whatever remainder is left after the repairs of damages is completed.  You will need to itemize the repairs and the charges.  

Do you have pics of the property before tenants moved in? 

Thanks, Rob. Do the repairs need to be completed before the 21 days are up?

Thanks, Samuel. I'll definitely check out those links.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.