Considering adding solar panels to combined use SFH in CA

5 Replies

Hello everyone, I'm new here and am looking for some advice.

I own a SFH in Northern California and rent out two rooms while living in the master. I am interested in getting solar panels for the home and am wondering how that affects my tenant's utilities bill. I have gathered from other forums and discussions that if a home has solar panels, the tenant is not charged any electricity bill unless there is an overage. Am I correct in assuming that you cannot charge a tenant for use of solar-powered electricity if there is no actual bill from the utilities company (PG&E)?

Originally posted by @Lena Kendall :

Hello everyone, I'm new here and am looking for some advice.

I own a SFH in Northern California and rent out two rooms while living in the master. I am interested in getting solar panels for the home and am wondering how that affects my tenant's utilities bill. I have gathered from other forums and discussions that if a home has solar panels, the tenant is not charged any electricity bill unless there is an overage. Am I correct in assuming that you cannot charge a tenant for use of solar-powered electricity if there is no actual bill from the utilities company (PG&E)?

Hi Lena, I sent you a connect request. 

Happy to share some info on how you can charge tenants for use of your solar electricity without worrying about separate utility meters, etc. 

Looking forward to connecting

Lena,

I got solar 2 years ago and I still get a SCE bill, my last one was for 9$, they charge for service. I would raise rent by 100$ or so and add that electricity is paid by owner!

Hi @Lena Kendall It will be a simple process to divide the cost up in the same way - pro rated. As mentioned, you could charge more for the share of the rent and take care of the solar payment. I would have them sign some kind of "reasonable use" clause. You will get a monthly statement from PG&E and an annual "true up" where you will pay for any overage on the power you used, or they will send you a check for any credit they owe you.

I sent you a connection request and if you'd like I can put together some numbers so you can see if it makes sense and see what the property qualifies for.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.