What's "normal" wear and tear?

What's "normal" wear and tear?

Warrington, PA · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 5 votes

Had a tenant in my place for 6 years. Would hand prints on and scuff marks on ceilings and nail holes everywhere for pictures etc be considered normal wear and tear?

He was a relatively good tenant so I don't wanna nickel and dime him. I sorta expected to repaint. but sheesh. why's the ceiling so dirty!? lol

what would I even deduct for that from the security deposit? Or is that just standard wear and tear?

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y

6 years is a long time for one tenant. You say you don't want to nickel and dime him, and you shouldn't.  How much money are we really talking for cleanup?

Give the tenant their deposit back, spruce up your unit, be THANKFUL you had such a good tenant for that long of a stretch, and keep it moving.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Medford, NJ · Member since 2018 · 236 posts · 177 votes
    8y

    Hey Gene, 

    I would consider that normal wear and tear for sure. If it was one of my tenants and they had a good track record of paying on time and never gave me any issues I would not nickel and dime them. I always figure on having to do a little spackle and paint after tenants move out. How the ceiling got dirty is beyond me, I have yet to see that lol. If you feel like you have to deduct something to cover your time and materials, maybe a couple hundred bucks. Hope this helps.

  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    6 years is a long time for one tenant. You say you don't want to nickel and dime him, and you shouldn't.  How much money are we really talking for cleanup?

    Give the tenant their deposit back, spruce up your unit, be THANKFUL you had such a good tenant for that long of a stretch, and keep it moving.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    8y

    After six years I'd only charge for things that are truly broken.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    case closed, lock it down!

  • Warrington, PA · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    cool thanks all.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.