Do you require social security#or drivers license# on application

4 Replies

My standard form asks for this information, but on more than one occasion, i've been asked by prospective tenants if they have to provide it before they are selected in the event they provide it and then later are rejected (or someone else is chosen)?

What do you usually do?

I use a separate website for performing a criminal and credit and eviction background check as well, which to me, has me covered, but curious how others handle it.

Steve,

Definately. Anyone renting should have an expectation of providing this information. I keep this in case of future legal action. You can't run a worthwhile background check without this information. I also have their signed consent on the application to run the background check. If any of the information provided is false it is grounds to deny an applicant.

Credit score, evictions and criminal checks tell you a lot about a potential tenant.

Originally posted by @John Underwood :

Steve,

Definately. Anyone renting should have an expectation of providing this information. I keep this in case of future legal action. You can't run a worthwhile background check without this information. I also have their signed consent on the application to run the background check. If any of the information provided is false it is grounds to deny an applicant.

Credit score, evictions and criminal checks tell you a lot about a potential tenant.

Yes understood. I get that info from something like mysmartmove.com and also do an application 

@Steve S.
I get a copy of their license but I do not take the SS# I have them go through smartmove. If I needed to find them I can run a TLO on them to get their SS#. Since I have their license and telephone number that should be plenty - knock on wood never have had to go after anyone.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here