General Landlording & Rental Properties
Account Closed
  • Pismo Beach, CA
Votes |
Code Enforcement in Cleveland, Ohio Area

Account Closed
  • Pismo Beach, CA
Posted Apr 17 2018, 09:04

In reviewing some of the BP postings, I am noticing a pattern for potential fines and penalties directed toward rental properties in Cuyahoga County (Cleveland). Specifically, one BP member noted a citation for a trash violation that his tenant left out longer than what was allowable. I don’t know all the particulars in this case, but I would assume the tenant has done this before without the owner’s/landlord’s knowledge/consent. It appears the City of Cleveland takes their trash violations seriously.

My question to the BP community is what could the city do to an owner if they weren’t properly served? What are the consequences for the owner in this matter? I believe the BP member in the case was an on out-of-state owner/investor? If I remember correctly, the BP member also had a Property Manager (PM) in place. Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn’t the PM act as an agent for the owner/landlord since they have been retain to manage their property and can accept service on the owner’s behalf? This information should have been relayed to the owner in this case to afford the owner the opportunity to rectify the problem.

Do other counties in Ohio have similar ordinances as Cuyahoga County? I am new to rental investments and trying to prepare myself for all of the “what if’s scenarios” before they happen.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

Loading replies...