Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties
Account Closed
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
Portland wants to force me to accept violent crime felons.

Account Closed
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Portland, OR
Posted May 10 2018, 13:21

So this is happening here:  

http://www.wweek.com/news/city/2018/05/08/portland...

As a landlord who does her own repairs, this is terrifying to me.  I'm imagining crawling under a sink to fix a leak, locked in a house alone with a recently convicted violent felon. 

Also, if I were a tenant in a building where I had to pass a rigorous screening, with the peace of mind knowing that all my neighbors did too, and suddenly the rules were changed and my neighbor ended up being a convicted felon of a violent crime, I would be up in arms.  Why do felons suddenly have more rights than victims?  

I can testify at city council meetings, but the commissioner proposing this doesn't care 2 licks about what any landlord says, and at least 2 of the 4 other commissioners tend to vote exactly the same as this commissioner.  I just don't know what to do anymore, short of selling everything, if I want the brain damage to end.  (This is the same commissioner who, last year, implemented into law a $4500 relo fee for landlords who give no-cause terminations at the end of a lease term.)

I'm just reaching out to you, my tribe, for commiseration.  In Portland, landlords have become the "untouchable" caste.  

Loading replies...