Scott A Smith
  • Jeffersontown, KY
Votes |
SFH rental and yardwork?

Scott A Smith
  • Jeffersontown, KY
Posted May 12 2018, 17:51

Apologies if this is in the wrong place -

If you have a SFH property with a grass yard - who does the maintenance? Do you ask the tenant to maintain the grass, shrubs, mulching, etc, or do you contract that out to a landscaping company and include that cost in your rent, or do you do it yourself?

The reason I ask is that when my wife and I decide to do our first property, if it isn't a MFH, I'd like to know - we're current renters since we've moved around a bunch since we met for jobs and whatnot and buying never made sense for our budget yet. Our current SFH rental is the only rental property for our landlady and she has us doing the yard maintenance and bugs us about it (primarily bc her brother owns a landscaping company - so she's insanely particular when it's not usually an issue compared to our neighbors and NEVER gets out of control -other than weeds in the backyard mulched area, which is an annual headache - and the willow tree branch droppings which happen every winter and spring - also a major headache). For as cheap as the rent is I don't really complain, but I think it'd be a heck of a lot easier to just include it in the rent and outsource that to a reputable landscaping company.

Loading replies...