No Contract for Renewal, Tenants Silent (60 days out)

No Contract for Renewal, Tenants Silent (60 days out)

Investor · Blacksburg, VA · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 2 votes

I have a family living in a single family residence and they've been there for three years. They mentioned they want to stay one more year but I've been trying to get in touch with them regarding a contract and haven't heard back (text or e-mail) over the last five weeks or so. I was planning to raise the rent by about 5% to account for the rental changes in the area.

We are approaching 60 days out from their current lease expiration. What's the best way to proceed? Send them an official letter, and if I still haven't heard from them a month out then ... ?

0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 732 posts · 490 votes
8y
I’d first give them a call if you haven’t heard back from them in 5 weeks. Send a notice of a rental increase and cover yourself if you do end up rolling m2m.
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 732 posts · 490 votes
    8y
    I’d first give them a call if you haven’t heard back from them in 5 weeks. Send a notice of a rental increase and cover yourself if you do end up rolling m2m.
  • Rental Property Investor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2018 · 196 posts · 130 votes
    8y

    Does your lease go month to month after the set time has expired? I would send them an official notice that rent is going up via registered mail. 

    After that, if you do not hear from them in two more weeks, I would give them notice that you are going to be inspecting the place. Try to make it for a time that they are normally there if you know that information.

  • Property Manager · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2018 · 97 posts · 80 votes
    8y

    Hey Pawel,

    I'd definitely give them a call, and then mail + email them a notice saying that you are going to start showing the property to prospective renters. Put your home online and start showing it, giving the current tenants a 24 hour notice (or whatever reasonable notice is in your area. In my experience, if they are not responding, they likely changed their minds about renewing, and you may get stuck with vacancy if you're not pro-active about filling it.

  • Dick RosenPro Member
    Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 451 votes
    8y

    I send out renewal offers 60 days prior to current lease expiration and require that it comes back at least 30 days prior to current lease expiration. This renewal offer will contain the new rent and new term and it also states that if the fail to respond or fail to respond on time, they will automatically be considered a month to month renter with an additional premium added to the rent.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.