Tenant is engaged after moving in. Fiancé has no credit

14 Replies

Any experience on this situation that you can share? 

My current tenant is engaged last month and want to put her fiancé on the lease. Her fiancé submitted the application. It was found no credit, no previous rental history, very short employment history. I am going to reject him. 

My question is: if later on my tenant gets married to her fiancé and asks to move in, can I reject this guy again? 

That sounds like he might be a young person who just finished school and hasn't really had a financial life as an adult yet, right?

How about asking if one of their parents would co-sign?

You already have someone who you vetted, and they qualified; so it honestly shouldn't matter unless they have a criminal history.

Now you have two people to go after if they fall behind or damage the home, so you're more protected then you are currently after adding the fiance.

If your existing tenant qualified why would you reject the fiance for the reasons you mention?  If you had a married couple apply and only one of them had credit and employment would you reject them?  I can see rejecting him if there was a criminal or eviction history, but if he's just young and lacks financial history and the existing tenant qualifies I would not reject him.

I agree. A second tenant is only typically run a background check on - and maybe worry if they had specifically bad credit. (Past due credit cards, etc that might flow over into a relationship).

I wouldn’t see it as an issue, but I would suggest that they start working to build their credit soon!

So he doesn't have bad credit, just no credit?  I don't think it's bad. You can't get into trouble if you've never borrowed money. 

Thanks for all the replies. He was born in 1991. He has some jobs here and there, but not stable. No rental history except current one he is renting. There is nothing on his credit report.

I would rent to him and not bother with a co-signer since you already approved the other tenant. I assume that means that the main tenant can cover the rent anyways.

Also, not having credit is different than having bad credit. Since he does not have debt he should be able to use his income towards the rent which will make it even more likely the two of them will be able to keep up with the rent.

By rejecting fiance, you are increasing your chances of having your tenant move out, and dealing with turnover. Allowing him in would likely make current tenant stay longer. How about trying to renegotiate lease terms and/or additional security deposit to compensate for add’l person?

I would say sure with addendum to lease

Add a few hundred per month for more wear and tear and still hold your actual tenant responsible for everything

I would not go too high or you will lose the tenants. Make sure your rent is within reason for your market. Otherwise they could decide to move out together to another property which costs much less.

Why would you reject the fiance if the first tenant has qualified financially? I would only be reviewing the fiance's criminal background check to make sure you don't have a bad person moving in but no credit or rental history needed if the first tenant qualified on their own.