Water Meter Issues in multifamily

2 Replies

Hello Bigger Pockets, 

I am writing this afternoon seeking advise. 

I made a mistake while purchasing my 2nd multi family with the water meter. Long story short the inspector and myself did a bad job of fully understanding the situation. 

Here is the current situation. I bought the home with renters in. They are fresh renters so they are just getting their first water bill. The house has a single family 4/1 and a small guest house 1/1. The issue right now is the water meter. There are 2 meters by the road but water company says the pipes were never connected to the small guest house. 

Water company also says I have to put the water in my name if there are 2 units and they are both rented out. 

With the leases already in place how do I prevent myself from paying for their water out of my pocket?

Thanks in advance for all the input. 

Dan O.

Have the water bill in the name of the primary home tenant and divide the bill based on the number of persons per unit. Your tenants can work it out among themselves.

Do not get involved, have the tenant in the 1/1 pay the tenant in the 4/1. Ignore what the water company is telling you.

If the tenants do not like the arrangements allow them out of their leases. I would definatly be making plans to connect the  second meter to the 1/1 asap. Should not be a big deal to run from the meter to the line connecting the 4/1 to the 1/1 cut off and connect the new line. You then have the 1/1 tennat put that water meter in their name.

Originally posted by @Thomas S. :

Have the water bill in the name of the primary home tenant and divide the bill based on the number of persons per unit. Your tenants can work it out among themselves.

Do not get involved, have the tenant in the 1/1 pay the tenant in the 4/1. Ignore what the water company is telling you.

If the tenants do not like the arrangements allow them out of their leases. I would definatly be making plans to connect the  second meter to the 1/1 asap. Should not be a big deal to run from the meter to the line connecting the 4/1 to the 1/1 cut off and connect the new line. You then have the 1/1 tennat put that water meter in their name.

Thats perfect Thomas thank you so much!

I am putting together my notes and going to be either handing them a letter or talking with them in person tonight. 

I think I have all my basis covered except one thing. 

What happens if one of the tenants is late to pay?