Troublesome/Revolting Tenant Advice

3 Replies

Last year I purchased a four-unit multi-family with 50% occupancy. Before purchase, I noticed cat feces on the floor of one of the occupied apartments. It was concerning, but not a reason not to buy. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that it was an anomaly. Well, workers recently entered the apartment and refused to do work because...you guessed it--cat feces on the floor. Even worse, the tenant had a baby recently so now not only is my building at risk, so is a child. What should i do? I can't just walk in an continually investigate. Upon renewal do I say pets aren't allowed? She's a (fairly) reliable tenant, but this clearly is unacceptable on many, many levels. Ideas?

Follow the lease that is in place to start.  When it expires bring it up to your standards if you want to keep the tenant at which point you will enforce the lease consistently.

Notice to cease documenting observations and inability to perform work. Problem gets fixed or-

Notice to Quit with an affidavit attached from the workers. Evict

When you get them out be ready to rip up the subfloor, The tenant has already damaged your property- Seeing cat feces in the walk through would have alerted you to the certainty of cat urine which would have seeped to the subfloor and given you an ability to seek concessions from the seller even if you did not want to walk away.

Here in NJ we cannot make a tenant remove a pet that was previously allowed.