Open house showing for rental

Open house showing for rental

Louisville, KY · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes

For our latest rental we are having two open houses to show the property.  Any tips on how to handle multiple applicants and how to legally choose the most qualified?

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Lawrence, KS · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 35 votes
8y
Leslie I did an open house in one of my homes and had 4 applicants within an hour. I simply processed them in the order they came in and have great tenants. Good luck.
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Lawrence, KS · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 35 votes
    8y
    Leslie I did an open house in one of my homes and had 4 applicants within an hour. I simply processed them in the order they came in and have great tenants. Good luck.
  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Leslie Wood Process them in the order in which they come. Your realtor (don't know if you're one or are using one) should be able to guide you. Make sure you have an airtight contract which clearly go through everything and you uniformly apply the rules to all applicants. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    8y

    It's a personal preference. I know a Property Manager with over 800 rentals under management and he collects and processes multiple applications and then chooses the best one.

    I select the first applicant approved because it's fair and avoids any claims of a Fair Housing violation.

    Figure out what you're comfortable with and can justify.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · Palmyra, NY · Member since 2015 · 98 posts · 29 votes
    8y

    for one of my homes we did an open house format with a rental sign out front along with the craigslist add and had over a dozen views in an hour or so and at least 4 qualifying applicants  but recently I tried the same technique with a unit in a three family home and did not post a sign out front and he'd no-one show up and Im still trying. 

    The approved applicant were weeded out based on arrival and income.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.