Investor · TX · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 6 votes
The living room floor caved in while moving a heavy couch in my apartment. In the basement it seems a support beam gave way and cracked. The landlord said for me to provide my renter's insurance information to cover damages. I don't have renter's insurance and I also think this is the landlord's fault and he should pay for the repair. Please let me know who's responsible to pay for the repair!
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
8y
@Upgrade Costello a standard couch should not be heavy enough to cause this damage which indicates the beam was weak or bearing too much load. Do you have photographs of the beam you can share?
Assuming you are putting normal things in the property (like a couch) then it would not be your responsibility. We have a policy against water beds due to weight issues, but that is way more heavy than a couch. Review your lease to make sure there isn't some strange clause in there.
I would relay to the landlord that it is a structural defect in the property and not due to your misuse. I would call the city building inspector to have them come out and look at it. The building may not be safe. My guess is the building is older and doesn't meet current code. It could be grandfathered in, but either way that is not your fault.
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
8y
@Upgrade Costello a standard couch should not be heavy enough to cause this damage which indicates the beam was weak or bearing too much load. Do you have photographs of the beam you can share?
Assuming you are putting normal things in the property (like a couch) then it would not be your responsibility. We have a policy against water beds due to weight issues, but that is way more heavy than a couch. Review your lease to make sure there isn't some strange clause in there.
I would relay to the landlord that it is a structural defect in the property and not due to your misuse. I would call the city building inspector to have them come out and look at it. The building may not be safe. My guess is the building is older and doesn't meet current code. It could be grandfathered in, but either way that is not your fault.
Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y
this is not routine maintenance, and it's unlikely a standard couch would be able to damage the structural support of the house.
I can't say who is at fault for sure because I don't have all the facts, but I will say that you should expect this event to sour your relationship with the landlord. He's not going to want to pay to fix this, you aren't wanting to pay, I can't imagine the forthcoming construction is going to make your stay enjoyable, and you have a very serious safety issue on your hands which needs to be resolved quickly. None of these things will reduce stress or tension in the situation, might be all downhill from here.
regardless of who is at fault here, I'm betting you're gonna need a new place.
Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 561 votes
8y
I certainly would not expect a tenant to pay for a structural repair. He can try to see if his insurance will cover it...mine covered a collapsed ceiling that occurred only hours before a tenant was to move in! If it had occurred a day later it wouldn't have been his fault.
Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 930 votes
8y
The fact that your landlord doesn't want to take responsibility indicates to me that you would be within your rights to call the city buildings inspection. The city will likely find a LOT of things wrong, and may even condemn the building. But you are not responsible for structural issues.