Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties
Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Clifton, NJ
Votes |
Tenant lease up. New roommate. Doesn’t want to be tied down.

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Clifton, NJ
Posted Jun 1 2018, 06:30
Okay so here’s the deal. My tenant’s lease is up and he’s going to need a new roommate for the two bedroom. He’s a good guy. Responsible. Well employed. I’d love to keep him. The trick is, he doesn’t want to be tied down to his new roommate in case the living situation doesn’t work out. I explained that i can’t lease him the apartment with the ability to sublet. But i can understand how he feels about the situation. I’m wondering what my best option is here. I’m thinking of letting him sign a six month lease, keeping the option open to alter the lease should him and the other tenant not get along. The main tenant has already stated his intent and ability to carry the full rent for a month or two whilst in between roommates. While i understand his dilemma, i don’t feel i can give him power over the spare room to rule over and kick people out whenever he wants. Unless of course it’s consensual. It’s my first time in this kind of situation and I’m wondering if there’s any options I’m missing. Ideas and advice welcome. Thanks guys.

Loading replies...