Nevada Property Management Recommendations

6 Replies

Nevada landlords, Who have you had good dealings with for property management? I have tried interviewing companies and they are great if they want your business as a landlord, but they seem to take a week to show a tenant a property, by this time they have found something else... any recommendations for some reputable property management in the Las Vegas area?

@sierra crisp

Brian Hartsell at key property management has been good to me for the 10 properties they’ve managed for me over the last 10 years. I think once I had a week vacancy. I don’t think we’ve met in person since the day I hired him and talked over the phone maybe 3 times (emergency damage). Everything else has been handled by email and his staff. Zero drama, zero hassle. Does take until about the 10th to get your money. 

At least talk to him. Tell him bill brandt sent you. I don’t get anything out of it but at least he might know I appreciate his service. 

Thank you Bill, I appreciate the referral. I can have a fantastic property, but it is only ever as good as the manager that runs it. I will definitely call him. If you don’t mind me asking... did you have all 10 properties brought over at once? I have about 50 properties to bring over and when I give that number to a company they seem somewhat overwhelmed. Did you bring them gradually or just have them take everything at once?

@sierra crisp

I was managing them myself and moved them as tenants didn’t renew. I don’t have a good recommendation if you are switching companies. Probably depends why you’re switching. If you don’t like/trust your current company move them all at once. 

You would probably be a big fish in their pond. They were managing around 250 properties when I joined them 10 years ago. I honestly have no idea if they manage 300 or 3000 today. 

Ps. Congratulations on accumulating such an impressive collection. 

There's VIP Property Management who manages a few hundred properties.  There is also Blackbird Realty & Management.  Private massage me on this site or text me at my number below and I'll directly pass the point of contact to you.

You can start by going to www.narpm.org and search their directory of managers. These are professionals with additional training and a stricter code of ethics. It's no guarantee but it's a good place to start.

1. Ask how many units they manage and how much experience they have. If it's a larger organization, feel free to inquire about their different staff qualifications.

2. Review their management agreement. Make sure it explicitly explains the process for termination if you are unhappy with their services, but especially if they violate the terms of your agreement.

3. Understand the fees involved and calculate the total cost for an entire year of management so you can compare the different managers. It may sound nice to pay a 5% management fee but the extra fees can add up to be more than the other company that charges 10% with no add-on fees. Fees should be clearly stated, easy to understand, and justifiable. If you ask the manager to justify a fee and he starts hemming and hawing, move on or require them to remove the fee. Don't be afraid to negotiate!

4. Review their lease agreement and addendums. Think of all the things that could go wrong and see if the lease addresses them: unauthorized pets or tenants, early termination, security deposit, lease violations, late rent, eviction, lawn maintenance, parking, etc.

5. Don't just read the lease! Ask the manager to explain their process for dealing with maintenance or problem tenants. If they are professional, they can explain this quickly and easily. If they are VERY professional, they will have their processes in writing as verification that it is enforced equally and fairly by their entire staff.

6. Ask to speak with some of their current owners and current/former tenants. You can also check their reviews online at Google, Facebook, or Yelp. Just remember: most negative reviews are written by problematic tenants. The fact they are complaining online might be an indication the property manager dealt with them properly so be sure to ask the manager for their side of the story.

I hope this basic guide helps. If you have specific questions about property management, I'll be happy to help!