Mini splits, electrical baseboard or oil

13 Replies

I recently acquired a 2 unit. The first floor is a one bedroom about 6-700 SQ feet. The second floor was a 1 br. However it has an attic that we are planning on converting to a br. Making it a 2 br unit. I was able to get a good price because the previous landlord never got the heat separated. He was paying the heat out of pocket, oil radiant heat. However the electrical has been upgraded and is separated. So my plan was to convert one of the units to baseboard and Leave the other oil. However my HVAC guy suggested I do a mini split on each of the units. He said it would be more efficient and then offer both ac and heat. Another friend told me mini splits have a tendency to fail. I also am considering running gas to the property and just doing it right, and adding two separate boilers, but that seems very expensive. However I have another friend who said on smaller apartments his tenants dont mind electric baseboard. Which obviously would be the most cost effective. so at this point I'm pretty confused on what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

I would leave 1 unit oil baseboard , its already there . Just remove it from the second . i would go with the electric baseboard in the second . Then the tenants supply their own window units for AC 

Electrical has been upgraded I would go with an electrical base board. I would install a dedicated 20 amp outlet to the panel for the baseboard.

@Gareth Fisher I would tend to go with the recommendation from a professional. Your HVAC guy recommended mini split systems. A non professional said they fail. I would research brands of mini spits and read the reviews to see how reliable they are and what is a good brand.

Im concerned that if I leave the one apartment oil that 

a. the tenant wont keep it filled

b. vacancy rates will shoot up

Im considering doing both units in electric baseboard and getting rid of the oil all together?

Am I over thinking this?

If you have a standard oil fired boiler for the current radiant, it's pretty simple to convert to gas. And splitting the radiant to heaters should be pretty easy, radiant for small space can be run off of domestic water heaters. 

But to step back, one thing I learned buying a 4U with steam heat is that my cost for heat isn't the gas bill, it's the difference between what I build into the rent for heat and what it actually costs. When you look at it that way, how long will it take you to recover the costs of splitting the heat?

I got the property at a discount.  I'm assuming because the heat wasn't split.  The numbers didn't look very good.  From my calculations, Once the heat is split and the bedroom added.  It should increase the value enough where most of my original investment can be pulled back out.

Does your HVAC guy understand you want each minisplit completely on the individual apartment electric? what is he quoting for two systems? keep in mind he makes more with that option. Cheapest option electric baseboard. Minisplits are better because of ac. i woulld do a minisplit with backup electric in one unit. If you have a seperate zone for each apartment you could leave one oil. I think you nees to lay out the costs and then decide.Converting to gas depemds on how far you are from service now.
Thanks for the tips. I am more or less worried that someone with an income to only afford a 1br will apartment will have the income to afford oil. I'm also concerned that the oil will increase vacancy. Does baseboard heat rent better the oil? obv minis would be better but also more expensive. I have this worry that a tenant gets in there and the doesn't fill the oil, then they use space heaters and cause a fire or pipes to freeze.

@Gareth Fisher Things might be different in PA, but her in my area (MA), electric baseboard is the cheapest to install, but by far the most expensive to run.

I have had retail buyer clients who have said that they would not even consider a property with electric baseboard heat

I'm a fan of mini-splits (on your tenant's electric meter!) because they're energy efficient and also give the added benefit of whole-house AC.  That makes your unit more attractive to tenants.

I definitely agree with @Charlie MacPherson minisplits are great. Especially for smaller apartments with 2-3 rooms.

Heat and AC all in one. Reasonably priced, and on the tenants bill. Plus it’s all electric, so they aren’t setting up gas bills, oil deliveries, etc. ease of use is definitely worth something.

@Gareth Fisher   I see a lot of Hitachi and Mitsubishi out there, but I can't really vouch for them as I have not installed them in my own home yet.

I'd suggest talking with 2 or 3 HVAC contractors.  Also check to see if your state has any rebates available for energy efficient appliances.

I recently put a mini split onto one of my apartments. From what I read some brands do not keep up in supplying heat if the outside temp drops to close to zero. Not a problem for AZ, but it might be an issue in your neck of the woods. My advice is to do a little research, and make sure the unit is not installed on the ground where it could get buried in snow.