Does LLC result in higher property tax and insurance

Does LLC result in higher property tax and insurance

Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 304 posts · 47 votes
Does having an L.L.C. generally result in higher property tax and insurance? If so, is the increase a lot or is it negligible?
0Reply
15 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Fairfax, VA · Member since 2016 · 164 posts · 54 votes
    8y

    To my knowledge, there should be no difference at all. However, I recommend that you check with the local municipality with regard to taxes.

  • Investor · Midlothian, VA · Member since 2015 · 980 posts · 823 votes
    8y

    @Ben M., should have no effect on property tax, but you will probably have to get a commercial policy on the property which could indeed be more. Not necessarily, though, you just have to shop around. Insurance is one of those things where you really have to understand it to compare apples to apples (i.e. same coverage/service to same coverage/service). 

    I know that on my properties in NC I switched to a commercial policy when I moved the property into an LLC and it was comparable but probably up to a few hundred more. To put that in perspective, though, in coastal Carolina a few hundred more is only 10%-15%. Depends on your idea of negligible I guess. That's only $10-$15/mo.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.