Denying a tenant vs not selecting a tenant

13 Replies

Is not selecting an applicant for a given unit, but keeping their application open in case of other vacancies (for example the application would stay valid for 30 days), the same as a denial?

Hey Jeremy!

I personally would consider that a denial, simply because you are not selecting their application. When you notify them that they are not the right fit for that unit, I would mention that you will keep their application valid for the following 30 days. Make sure you clarify that you are keeping them in the running for another unit, they just weren't a good fit for the unit they applied for. 

Hope this helps!

Originally posted by @Jeremy Marek :
Is not selecting an applicant for a given unit, but keeping their application open in case of other vacancies (for example the application would stay valid for 30 days), the same as a denial?

Jeremy,

I'm curious: why didn't you select this applicant? Is the unit they applied for somehow different from your other units? And if yes to the latter, does that mean they meet your qualification standards in general?

These are the sort of questions I might have if you told me you'd keep my app for 30 days.

~Susan

@Thomas S. No need for your negativity here. I have a qualified applicant that happened to apply after another qualified applicant. Since the first applicant in line was chosen, I wanted to let them know that the specific unit they applied for isn't available, but we may have another unit coming up in the near future. (different floor, but same number of beds/bath). So, if you want to say they were "rejected" for the unit they applied for, then fine. but calling it a lack of management skills is unnecessary.
@Susan H. They are qualified, but applied after another qualified applicant. I was curious if others would keep that application for another unit, or just automatically trash all applications and start over with the new unit

If you're not accepting their application its a denial.  There's little point in keeping an application.  If they're looking for a place its likely they will find something before you have another vacancy.

Originally posted by @Jeremy Marek :
@Susan H. They are qualified, but applied after another qualified applicant. I was curious if others would keep that application for another unit, or just automatically trash all applications and start over with the new unit

Thank you for the explanation!

No, it's not a denial and it happens to me all the time. Two people apply, both are qualified and approved. One rents the unit while the other is thinking. I haven't denied their application. I just don't have anything to rent to them.

Denial means they failed to meet your criteria.