The Dog next door...

14 Replies

I have a multi-unit in Baltimore who recently acquired new neighbors.. they have two pit bulls who are in the yard 24/7 and whenever anybody is outside they lunge at the fence growling and barking to no end. The current fence(neighbors fence) is in almost dilapidated conditions and I’m fearful that this will discourage tenants in future turnovers if not dealt with so with that being said this weekend I plan to reach out to the new neighbors, I’ve already lined up one of my guys to install a new 6ft fence but it will require the demo of their current fence and the dogs to be put up while the work is being done(don’t need anybody getting bit) my question becomes though if you are a dog owner shouldn’t you be required to have a proper and safe fence or does this matter fall into my lap, I don’t want to make to make a big issue because well these neighbors could end up causing more trouble then it’s worth..

try the nice neighborly approach first when dealing with these idiots  . You get more bees with honey than vinegar . Will this potentially affect your rental .. it most certainly will ! If somebody has kids the last thing they’d want to do is put them in physical jeopardy over some crazy dogs. Honestly I’d rather live in a dilapidated crack house than have a team of vicious Pitt  bulls with a busted fence snarling at me every time I stepped out my door. Who needs the aggravation . Get this fixed as soon as possible if you expect to make any money  

@Andrew S.

The broke get seriously weird about their dogs. They often make it a point of pride to get into conflicts with anyone that says anything about their dogs. It's their proof of love for their animals. Sadly, the broke love pit bulls, just like many of them love guns, and are equally unfit to own those as well.

I grew up with a breeding pair of  AKC-registered AmStaffs as the family dogs. I wish things were different.

Originally posted by @Jim K. :

@Andrew S.

The broke get seriously weird about their dogs. They often make it a point of pride to get into conflicts with anyone that says anything about their dogs. It's their proof of love for their animals. Sadly, the broke love pit bulls, just like many of them love guns, and are equally unfit to own those as well.

I grew up with a breeding pair of  AKC-registered AmStaffs as the family dogs. I wish things were different.

Thats true ! What is it about the poor owning a vicious breed of dog that makes them feel relevant ,tough ,or in control ? Must be a psychological thing around feeling inferior  to other income classes 

If you call animal control and the neighbors think you did it, you gonna deal with more issues than you can ever imagine, its a risk, best thing to do is try to talk and offer to put in a big fence at your expense. If its in a C or D area, and you mess with peoples dogs, they will confront you physically and it could be very dangerous.  Remember, this is Baltimore city, and there are many dangerous people on the street, and it will take at least 45 minutes for the police to get to you if your lucky.

Yeah I’ve already pretty much made the executive decision that the ball is in my court on the fence, Just the cost of doing business I suppose.

I would report it to animal control, particularly if they are making noise or potentially threatening to anyone.

@Andrew S.

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I simply spoke to the neighbors and within a month they put on a brand new fence #ProblemSolved

They do make bark silencers that you can place in your yard that emit a high-pitched sound humans can't hear but supposedly stops neighbors' dogs from barking.   I know someone who had great success with it after someone moved next door with several dogs that were initially driving them crazy.   As far as the aggression, make sure you report every incident and instruct your tenant to report to animal control as well so if they ever do harm anyone, you've got a recorded history of violations.   If they are renters, their landlord can be held liable if anything happens if they allowed an aggressive dog, so contacting their landlord may help as well.  

I’d consider putting up a wood fence on your property, an inch or two from the existing fence. You lose a few inches of property, but may be easier.

I’d still let the neighbors know you’re doing it to add some privacy and such (no mention of the problems). :)

Originally posted by @Mike McCarthy :

I’d consider putting up a wood fence on your property, an inch or two from the existing fence. You lose a few inches of property, but may be easier.

I’d still let the neighbors know you’re doing it to add some privacy and such (no mention of the problems). :)

That would also allow you to put the pretty side towards your yard. If you replace the neighbor's fence you'll have to put the pretty side towards them.  

No worries, theyll get evicted for not paying rent eventually

Find out if they are tenants, and go right to their landlord.  Be diplomatic, opening up with you want to collaborate with fellow landlords and keeping an eye on each others' property would be mutually beneficial.

You can bet if a fellow landlord contacted me about my tenant's dogs I would certainly follow up.

They are homeowners believe it or not

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here