Vinyl flooring install

11 Replies

Hey everyone! I am currently about a month into my house hacking adventure here in OKC! So far everything has been going well. I have definitely learned that everything takes more time than I'd expected when it comes to working on the house. So my question is I am planning to rip out the worn/stained carpet and lay down a pad and nice wood look vinyl floor! Under the carpet is a cement slab which seems to be in pretty good condition. My question for y'all is how challenging is installing a floating style vinyl floor (tongue/groove) and if I am primarily only installing on weekends and for an hour or two after work do you think it'll end up taking weeks to do? (this is in my unit, other half is occupied)

Based on y'alls experience what is a reasonable price/sqft for an installation if I think the project will end up being too much to handle all myself? I have been quoted $1.89/sqft as long as the subfloors are level.

Thanks!!

How many square feet? What are you going to do about the baseboard trim? Butt to it and put a 1/4 round moulding over the edge of the floor? How many walls, cabinets, etc do you have to cut around?

@Bryan Devitt The area I am going to be covering is about 1000 sqft most of which is fairly square. The bedrooms are 11'x11' and there are 3 of them. The living area is open to the kitchen area and is ~15'x16'. The kitchen is a galley style with an eat in dining area which will require some cuts I am sure. I've pulled up the current baseboards because they were in poor condition so once I have the floor laid out Ill go ahead and install the baseboard. I know from what I have been reading I need to leave some space at the edge of the floor for expansion... I've never dealt with this type of flooring but I am a generally handy person. Just concerned with my time frame I am getting in over my head. Thanks for the reply!

Yes, the gap on the edges is required and it depends on what kind of floor it is how much of a gap is needed. I usually do 1/4. That is a sizeable project and with the learning curve, installing the floor, installing the baseboard and painting the baseboard, it will probably take you a solid 60hrs to complete the work. Best case I could see would be 40hrs if you blow through it but I wouldn't plan on that.

I have used this type of flooring while doing some projects. It actually is fairly simple to do. The hardest part is just making sure your measurements and cuts are accurate. I have laid about 500+ sq ft floor in a weekend by myself and a buddies help. 

I am not super experienced in handyman type of work, but I am a "youtube master" and always watch videos to learn tips from more experienced people.

I use vinyl planks with pressure sensitive glue. We buy at 90cents to $1.35/ft.  Easy to install on concrete or on sureply underlayment. tough stuff, hard to damage.

Would anyone here recommend the vinyl plank that is glued rather than the snap together type?  I'm not sure which is the better option.  I do know he glued option is less expensive.

@Tim Bales the floor I was discussing in this post I put in partially myself and had a part installed by a floorer. It looks great in the house and was not terribly hard to install after I got a hang of it. I think if you shop around you can get some pretty good deals on the tongue and groove vinyl. Plus in the event a tenant damages a section of the flooring it can be replaced in a small area rather than having to mess with big sections or even the whole floor! As long as your floor is pretty level this is a great option!

I like the glue down version.  But the peel/stick type glue on most of the vinyl flooring is inadequate for the job.  We make sure the slab is clean, smooth, dry, then apply VCT type glue with a fine trowel. 

Once that glue sets up (gets clear) be CAREFUL on setting down the planks--once it touches, it STICKS.  Of course, a heat gun will let you re-set a mistake. 

Floating floors are ok, but when something floats, that means there is space between the slab and the flooring.  Stuff can get in there, like moisture, and who knows what will grow.  I'm just sayin.