Votes
Ken Bresser
  • Hamtramck, MI
Votes |
Legal questions regarding tenant in Jail

Ken Bresser
  • Hamtramck, MI
Posted Jul 10 2018, 06:28

I have tenant who is in jail. He owes back rent. I found out he’s in jail from his father who called me. It seems he is cooperative, wants his belonging stored and to get out of his lease. The tenant asked his father to store his belongings, however, the father doesn’t have a key. It’s unclear where the tenant’s key is. The father asked me to let him in, so he could remove the belongings but I’m hesitant to do that without any authorization. I’ve read some of the discussion of evictions and abandonment but have a different question…. His father thinks that he could get access to the tenant and have him write a letter to us. What would you advise he write the letter to both hurry the process and cover us against any liability? It seems to me at least two things should be in it, first, his intention to leave the property and get out the lease. Second, authorization for us, or his father, or someone, to remove his belongings.

Is there any such form letter we could use as an example? Any advice would be appreciated. 

Loading replies...