• Real Estate Broker
  • Salem, OR
Votes |
Community complaint about a tenant

Liwen Gu
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Salem, OR
Posted Jul 13 2018, 20:01

I received this letter from the neighborhood community regarding my tenant in Denver CO (Littleton, Woodmar community if anyone is local) that goes like this:

" I am writing you in regard to your rental property .....(address) 

Since your renter moved in over a year ago, the property has suffered as well as the community. Your yard is in terrible shape and in need of care on a regular basis. Regular maintenance and upkeep on the house itself is not occurring.

Your renter disregards the covenant rules as well as Jefferson County laws. There has been a huge camper/fifth wheeler parked in front of the house for weeks now. Woodmar Square covenants state three days parking only. You are ultimately responsible for your property and are encouraged to let your renters know what is needed.

Please address these issues and contribute to your investment property and our community."

I've never received a warning like this and I'm wondering how seriously I need to take it? I forwarded a copy of the letter to my property manager immediately and he said the tenant has been great. The yard is suffering because of the heat. He's going to get back to me about the camper. I remember having the conversation about the camper when the tenant first moved in and we decided that he cannot park it at the house. Anyway, I asked my property manager to drive by the house and take a look. I'm willing to pay for any yard maintenance as needed because I really hate neighbor complaints. Two months ago, he suggested that I buy a lawnmower for the tenant to do his own lawn work so I don't need to hire lawn service so I did and I agreed not to increase his rent as a result of that. Anyway, thoughts/comments?

Loading replies...