Renters living out of the area

Renters living out of the area

Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2017 · 159 posts · 116 votes

How do you handle potential renters that want to rent from you sight unseen or has anyone rented this way?  I have had several inquiries from people living in Puerto Rico that are in the process of moving to FL.  They want to line up a place to live before moving.  I have always done an informal pre-screen,  talked to people in person and then a formal background check before renting to get a good feel for them and am not fully comfortable renting sight unseen - however I don't want to turn down someone that passes a background check and seems to be a good fit.  I'm also not sure how good a background check is (Cozy?) for residents of Puerto Rico.  Note:  B class neighborhood.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

0Reply
11 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michele FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Our properties are B class as well.

    We have found that applicants from other countries are very difficult to screen.  I don't think you should feel bad about denying them if you cannot follow your normal screening process to completion, but I'd give it a try at least and try to think creatively about how to get comfortable with them.  The one we took a chance on did not even stay a month.

    We have also found that applicants from outside the area often do not stay long.  In a less desirable neighborhood, it is better to rent to applicants who know exactly what they are in for, who have generationally lived in that area.  They will stay longer, which reduces your costs and hassles.

    I might suggest having a video chat with the applicants.  You can show them the unit virtually and guage their reactions.  It is a huge red flag if they truly don't care about the features, if they are just desperate to take anything.  You can also ask them a lot of questions, for more clues and information.  Brainlsit a long list of non-discrimnatory quesitons and see where the conversation goes.

  • Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2017 · 159 posts · 116 votes
    8y

    Thanks,  The applicant I was dealing with I just rejected due to sub 600 credit score.  I had several that contacted me earlier from Puerto Rico wanting to rent sight unseen but this last applicant was the only one that sounded like they would be a good qualifying tenant (retired law enforcement plus a good job lined up here)

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    @Ron H. I simply wouldn’t do it. Too many variables and chance for fraud. In person or they don’t rent. Why take chances if you have other options?
  • Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2017 · 159 posts · 116 votes
    8y

    I have been very leary of the out of area renters and would only go forward if some how I could get a good background check.  Just wondering how other people handled out of the states applicants. A quick pre-check on this last applicant seemed promising until the low credit score came up. So far most other interested parties for this house have appeared  worse -  pre checks have uncovered evictions, multiple arrests, etc.  Will keep looking for someone more local that has a good background.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.