Cost for compressor replacement labor

2 Replies

The compressor to the AC unit for my SFH broke down and needs to be replaced. The compressor is still under warrantee but the technician wants to charge me $4500 for labor and other items related to it. This sounds like he's taking advantage of my inexperience and lack of knowledge in his expertise. Is there any way for this to cost that much? Thanks!

This is something typical I see in the HVAC industry, as well as other industries. They try to make a repair expensive in order to convince you to install a new unit - or - make the money of installing a new unit from not so complicated repair.

I bet you or your husband could replace the compressor yourself - it isn't that difficult really. Then have someone come out and recharge the system.

Make sure you get a 2nd and 3rd opinion (in hvac maybe 4 or 5) on what needs to be done and how much it would cost. 

Worst case get your replacement compressor and have someone else do the install.

I agree with @Account Closed .  Price for install seems way to high.  A new inside/outside system can be installed for under $8k depending on SEER rating.  Make sure to get several quotes.  I know it takes time and with this heat you can't wait too long.  

Check with friends and family for references.